Skip to main content

Berlin - Love Life

Ah, the '80s. Right about '84, things were hitting the sweet spot for me musically. I remember a buddy playing me a mixtape that had "No More Words" on it, and I asked, "Who is that?"

I liked synth-pop with the big guitars and all that, but I never got around to getting this album. Of course, a couple of years later, after Top Gun came out, everyone knew "Take My Breath Away," a song that put the band in the upper echelons for a little while.

Sadly, it was also a song written for the band by Giorgio Moroder, who had a killer touch with soundtracks in particular, and it pretty much overshadowed anything they did before and after.

The other day I was bin rummaging, and there, in between the ever-present badly scratched Rod Stewart albums (I think people do it on purpose), was a decent-looking copy of Berlin's Love Life.

"Ooooh," I said to myself.

I took out the vinyl, and it was just dusty and covered in fingerprints, but otherwise looked salvageable. The insert was there too, which was a nice surprise.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

The other thing was this was on Geffen, and while people either love or hate David Geffen, I have to admit the hit-to-miss ratio for his label was pretty impressive. Based on that alone, I'd have picked it up.

Musically, this is really strong. All the way through, there isn't a dud or a misfire. One of the reasons I think this still holds up so well was the choice to use real musicians. Real bass, real guitar, real drums (oh, I'm sure there was some programming in there, but it's not the Simmons sound that was cool until it wasn't).

A lot of the stuff around the same time suffers now from a lack of organic tension. Having solid songs helps too. It really should have been huge.

If they'd been bigger, the albatross song from Top Gun wouldn't have been seen as a one-off, and the band wouldn't have had to hold its breath waiting for another hit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...