Skip to main content

Big Country - The Crossing

For a while, producer Steve Lillywhite was a machine. From his earlier work with Peter Gabriel to U2, where I first read his name in their liner notes, the guy was at the helm of some incredible albums. Then, in the summer of '83, a very strange song hit the airwaves. "In a Big Country" was big and bombastic and had these melt-your-face electric bagpipes. A lot of people really liked this song. It was a big hit, going top five here in Canada, and the album went platinum here and in the UK and gold in the US.

Being the contrarian I was, I treated their hit the way I treated songs by Culture Club. I just turned it off or changed the station. Still, there was a begrudging respect. These guys were proud Scots, and their mix of traditional and rock music was, quite frankly, pretty freakin' awesome.

One of the cool things now, in listening to this album in its entirety for the first time, is how cohesive the songs are as a listening experience. I love that the credits actually highlight both Bruce and Stuart's use of an E-bow, which is used to great effect throughout the album. An E-bow is essentially a small handheld sustainer you hold over the bridge pickup, and it acts as a virtual bow, allowing you to have endless notes (sustain, hence it being a sustainer) with harmonic overtones. I have one, and to get really good at it takes practice. I need more practice.

I remember my old roommate playing a cassette copy of their follow-up, Steeltown, that I liked at the time. Still, for most people - and I'll have to lump myself into this category too - The Crossing is the album people associate with the band.

It is a solid album, and if I find more from their discography in the bins, I'll pick them up. This one only took me just shy of forty years to pick up.

Sadly, Stuart Adamson took his life in 2001—he was only 43.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...