Skip to main content

Grand Funk - We're an American Band

Grand Funk, without the Railroad. In 1973 the band released We're An American Band, and this was the song I remember from the radio as a kid. But it would take almost 50 years for me to get to the deep cuts on the album.

I didn't really pick anything up by the band other than a greatest hits CD, but I always liked them, and my parents oddly enough had an 8-track copy of their live album that I never knew they had, because apparently they didn't know they had it either until I found it one day in a box in the closet. I remember it being awesome, with a drum solo that blew my mind.

People tend to think of them as a trio, but on this Todd Rundgren-produced effort they were officially four: Mark Farner, Mel Schacher, Don Brewer and Craig Frost, who had laid down keys previously on Phoenix, was now listed as a full-fledged member of the band. Oddly enough, after Grand Funk folded he would join the Silver Bullet Band with Bob Seger and stay there for a couple of decades.

The album was apparently recorded in two days, and a month later it was released in July of 1973, which is incredible when you think about it. Then again, for a band who put out their debut in 1969, they already had a half dozen albums under their belt by the time this was released. They were still kids, with Mark, Don and Craig turning 25, while Mel was a few years younger. They were already seasoned musicians. It really is mind-boggling.

So when I found a copy in a dollar bin, I was pretty stoked. Of course this wasn't an original pressing; it was the regular black vinyl, and the promised stickers were long gone. Although I'm not sure if the sticker on the cover was originally there. I like to think I got at least one sticker. However, the album itself, while pretty dirty, did clean up okay, and despite the occasional click and pop it played through without any major issues.

The lead-off single still kicks me right in the feels. The rest of the album is pretty great, including "Walk Like a Man," which was also sung by Don Brewer. Who doesn't love a singing drummer? Then there's seven minutes of pure groove with Farner singing on "Creepin'." I love hearing old stuff with new ears. The whole album is really good. Of the eight songs, Don and Mark split them down the middle.

Overall, a great find.

This is the first of many ... you'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...