Skip to main content

Jeff Elbel + Ping - The Threefinger Opera

I have one album in my collection that is actually new, not old new, NEW new. This is it. It's an  album I got because I took part in a fundraising campaign to help Jeff realize his dream of putting out an album on vinyl. I also got it because I felt guilty for making fun of his desire to release an album recorded digitally and then put out on plastic to have that "warmth" only vinyl can deliver. He took offence at this (and rightly so) and defended his desire, proceeding to outline how it was recorded, and mixed specifically to enhance the vinyl experience. Incidentally quite a number of my favourite albums decades ago were full digital recordings that sounded awesome on record - yeah, I'm specifically thinking of In Transit by SAGA- it was also one of the first CDs, so there. He may have a point, or it may just be an ear placebo.

What REALLY enhanced the experience was having a big old album cover to hold on to, with a nice insert. I also have the CD (which is just as lovingly packaged, just smaller) which delivers for me the pristine audio experience. For giggles I'll sometimes put his album on the turntable, turn it on, and then play the compact disc really loud. It's a compromise ... and yes I am aware that I can be a bit of a dick at times. Not one of my favourite attributes, but I own it.

So here it is, my new NEW record: The Threefinger Opera, and despite trying to avoid another love letter to the year 1978 Jeff does it for me by including his own little nod to "Mr. Blue Sky" with "Unstoppable Me" - Now if you're a purist you'll argue that it wasn't 1978. Sure, the album actually came out in 1977 but the single was released in 1978.

Jeff, or Mister Elbel, or "Sir" as he prefers to be called, seems to be a normal man about town kind of guy but in reality is a living breathing Clark Kent. He's an honest to goodness raconteur. He's actually kind of irritating in that regard, but in a good way.

I remember many years ago now, interviewing him about his (still feels new) 2004 release The Eleventh Hour Songbook and we'd traded e.mails for a few days. Being a fanboy and not a journalist I tended to ask a lot of goofy questions, and then wait for answers and then try to edit it into something fun to read, or at least something that made sense. Jeff was a saint, and patiently edited my questions, and polished his answers.

So here I am in 2022, listening to his finally released vinyl record and again I am kind of blown away (I am actually fully blown away, but I have to say "kind of" because I'm not really objective at this point and want to seem at least a little objective). I was expecting the songs to be along the lines of stuff you'd hear on the more depressing Depeche Mode releases. Think Black Celebration but less cowbell. Instead The Threefinger Opera is a somewhat cheery retelling of Jeff's journey through rehab to regain the use of a gibbled left hand that stopped functioning properly due to a spinal injury, or it could've been a work injury from banging his head against his desk, or something like that. I'm not a doctor, I don't know what it was.

Over the years Jeff has quietly assumed his place on the periphery of a lot of great music. His knowledge and depth of musical minutia is rather humbling. The number of odd little guest cameos here makes me want to drop to my knees "I'm not worthy!" I mean he got Cy Curnin from The Fixx, Derri Daugherty, Mister Glenn Kaiser, Phil Madeira, Michael Roe and Martin Wenk from Calexico. There are many more.

This isn't to discount the contributions from his band. This is top shelf stuff, honest. I love a lot of what John Bretzlaff does throughout, he's a very tasty player, but honestly I'm blown away by Stacey Krejci who's monster bass playing is a highlight throughout the album. Of course Jeff himself is no slouch, even without all of his faculties ... I mean, digits. One of the coolest things throughout the album is the vocal interplay with Maron Gaffron.

Jeff calls his style of music "progressive roots pop" I just call it music, then again I'm not good at genres. I like it, or I don't.

Earlier I mentioned I had one new record - that's technically true - but I also have a new vinyl copy of Jeff's 2001 release No Outlet. As that's over twenty years old now, I'll count it as old, but new to me.

Jeff Elbel + Ping

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the