Skip to main content

Moon Martin - Escape from Domination

Moon Martin
The year was 1979, and the battle between good and evil raged through the land. Disco was making it pretty much impossible to listen to the radio. Still, it was a good time for rock and roll.

I remember hearing Moon Martin and really liked "Rolene," but at the time I never picked anything up. Fast forward through the years, and I did have a decent retrospective on CD that covered the bases, but I wanted more.

Recently, I was digging in the bins, and I found a decent copy of Street Fever, which was his third album in three years. It was good, really good, but I wanted to find his debut (let's be honest, as good as his version of "Bad Case of Loving You" is, Robert Palmer really made it his own) or his follow-up, Escape from Domination.

As fate would have it, I found a copy of the latter and brought it home for a little loving care. Aside from a nick in the vinyl on the second track, which isn't as bad as I'd expected, it cleaned up real good (extra points for those playing at home if you read that last bit like Big Jim McBob (Joe Flaherty) and Billy Sol Hurok (John Candy) from SCTV's Farm Film Report).

The album is a cohesive effort that bears up to repeated spins. You can hear Mister Martin's rockabilly roots throughout his songwriting, and that's not a bad thing. Who doesn't love the grit and twang that hearkens back to the early days of rock and roll?

I defy you to not get a grin while listening to "Bootleg Woman" when the guitars start ripping it up. In my mind's eye, Moon is doing a duck walk and strutting like a peacock.

Musically, the songs land somewhere between the rock world and the singer-songwriter stuff (more edge, less pop) that was all over the '70s. The showpiece here is still "Rolene," and this song alone makes the album worth picking up.

The other thing is the album is short. Ten songs, three minutes - get in, get out, leave you wanting more. I played this a few times while gathering my thoughts for this little blurb, and each time through I liked it a little more. I guess you could say it was a grower not a shower (I make no apologies for this).

back cover

For a guy who apparently got his nickname for using the word moon in his songs, he only uses it once on the album, and that's on "The Feeling's Right," where he writes, "The moon is burning bright." For a little while, he really did.

In the early '90s, I would discover Jude Cole's music when "Baby, It's Tonight" was on the radio (who is only a few years older than me. He was maybe 20 when Escape from Domination came out). I love it when you can follow threads and learn new things.

Sadly, Moon Martin passed away in 2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...