Skip to main content

Prism - See Forever Eyes

Continuing my trip through 1978, here's Prism's second album, See Forever Eyes. I remember going with my cousin to a hole-in-the-wall record store to pick up an 8-track copy he'd special ordered. Yeah, it was like that once upon a time in smaller towns and suburbs.

Like any good Canadian kid, I thought "Spaceship Superstar" was as close to a perfect song as there ever was. Here was the follow-up, and I was finally going to hear more than one song. After ejecting the ever-present Double Live Gonzo! from the truck's player, this one got a fair amount of play over the summer, and I liked what I heard - especially the rockers where Lindsay tore it up.

The early Prism albums were driven as much by the interplay between guitar and keyboards as they were by Ron Tabak's soaring vocals - a pattern some of my favourite bands employ, much to my delight (Saga, I'm looking at you).

When the album launches into "Flyin'," arguably one of its best tracks, it's easy to draw comparisons to Styx, mainly because both bands had gotten their hands on the German Oberheim synthesizer and seemed to be using the same preset (I'm guessing it was a preset - did they have patches back then?).

At the time I didn't know who was in the band. I was just a 15-year-old, shy, lanky kid who loved music. A year or so later, when I picked up this album, I also bought their debut, and both albums were played constantly. Looking back, it's a bit of a blur as to what goes where.

Of course, being the '70s, there were sucky songs (opinion courtesy of 15-year-old me), and Prism would become pretty proficient at the power ballad. Listening now to "You're Like the Wind" and "You're My Reason," I can imagine there were a lot of burnt thumbs at their concerts from all the waving flames.

See Forever Eyes likely contains the only bowling strike ever captured in a rock song (I'm just guessing, but really, name another one). "N-N-N-No!" is played in such a high register and at such a blistering pace it's amazing Ron was able to hit the notes. Apparently the guys used to joke about how high a key they could write their songs in. I love this song. N-N-N-No kidding (don't you roll your eyes at me).

At the time I was (and still am) enthralled by Lindsay Mitchell's guitar playing, but over the years what has really emerged on the first couple of albums, in particular, is John Hall's keyboard wizardry, all accomplished before MIDI and sequencers. What he achieved is kind of mind-boggling in its complexity.

Even now, this album is a lot of fun, and not just for the nostalgia that takes me back to my youth. These were solid songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...