I didn't have much in the way of vinyl, so it was up to friends and spotty AM radio to supply my favourite songs. One of the coolest songs from my youth was "Action." And no, it wasn't by The Sweet (although that's an awesome song, and I did actually own the 45 at one time); it was by Streetheart. The song had it all: a big riff, a wicked groove (dare I say discoesque?), a solid bottom end, and a killer vocal.
Over the years, Streetheart would release a lot of great songs and weave themselves into the fabric of Canadian classic rock. I had (and have again) a couple of their albums but never did get the debut. Then one day, there it was in the bin, just waiting for someone to rescue it and give it a home. Sadly, there was no liner, but the jacket was okay, and despite the surface rash, the vinyl was fairly free of clicks and pops after a good cleaning.That first track is still the one that gets my attention. Drummer Matt Frenette's hi-hat over Daryl Gutheil's synth, combined with the gut-reverberating thump of Spider Sinnaeve's distinctive bass, sets the tone, and to top it off, Paul Dean's searing guitar rips it up. It was a pattern Matt and Paul would emulate a couple of years later when Loverboy dropped "Turn Me Loose," but it's "Action" that has the cocky strut. Behind the scenes there was stuff going on, and Paul would leave the band just as Meanwhile Back in Paris started to take off in Canada. Matt would leave after the next album and join Paul in Loverboy.
Being able to finally hear this album and dig into the deep cuts has been a lot of fun. I don't know why I assumed it was one killer track followed by filler. I went in expecting to have my worst suspicions confirmed, and after two sides and a repeated play-through to make sure, I can confidently say this album is pretty darned good. I do have to say the big rock ending on "Can You Feel It" has a rushed fade that's rather jarring - something I don't remember and not how the song plays on my best-of CD. Oh well, maybe it was an anomaly that got fixed on subsequent pressings or the reissue.The band released a pretty definitive double-CD anthology that covers just about all the high points, but dang, revisiting the albums in their entirety has been enlightening. For anyone curious what this lineup would have sounded like delivering some of Streetheart's other classics, I'd recommend seeking out One Night One Take, which captured the 1993 reunion with Paul and Matt. The sound quality, while not great, captures an extraordinary performance.
Comments
Post a Comment