Skip to main content

The Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Look at their Golden Age

I'd never really thought of The Atlanta Rhythm Section (ARS) as a southern rock band. I'd heard a couple of their hits, but never really associated those songs with the band, they were just memorable songs on the radio.

A while back I was reading up on southern rock bands and there was ARS mentioned on the same page as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, and even .38 Special (who deserved more love than they got). I thought, "Am I missing something here? Aren't these the "So Into You" and "Imaginary Lover" dudes? That's soft rock." Still, I squirrelled the band away into my mental list of things to watch for because now I was curious.

You may be wondering, "Hey, with all the streaming stuff, or even on YouTube why don't you just look?" My answer is simple. I don't want to. There aren't a lot of surprises out there, and I've got so much stuff in my library already I like discovering stuff, even if it is just new to me. Everyone has too much information, not enough knowledge. Music is the same. It's all there, but sometimes you just need to rummage through the piles to discover things for yourself.

The other day I figured it was time for a little bin diving therapy, so off I went to one of my favourite haunts. The store's dollar bin section has a wonderfully misleading sign labelled "New Arrivals" which is true, but then whoever stocks that section will go along placing things willy-nilly anywhere they want as there is no filing system or order. You want to browse go ahead, but to find stuff you have to look.

I'm picking away, and I find a copy of Champagne Jam which was a later pressing as the jacket graphic was updated to say it includes THE HIT SINGLE. Well, I set it aside and kept digging. In short order another one of their albums popped up and a few bins down the aisle there was yet another. I had found the three albums that were the band's sweet spot and covered their most successful period from 1976 to 1979. The years I had no money and wasn't buying more than maybe one or two albums a year.

Sweet.

The album jackets were in passable shape, one with some spine wear, and none of them had sleeves, who knows what credits there were, but the albums all had pictures and credits so that was a bonus. All of the records had some surface rash, but looked like after a leisurely shit shower and shave they'd be presentable (they were, and none of the light scratches clicked or popped). Since I got them together, and represented an era, I couldn't really separate them so I'll just sit back and let them play and I'll see what happens (yeah, I'm going to try writing in real time, and later edit and see how coherent my thoughts were).

A Rock and Roll Alternative (1976) is short, eight songs and clocks in at just over half an hour. The title is deceptive, this is a rock band, they aren't alternative at all. The great thing about a lot of southern rock is that it doesn't just really adhere to a particular sound, but when you hear it you know it. While these guys aren't like their peers they recorded in the same studio, used the same engineer, the talented Rodney Mills (the guy has a hall of fame resume). So yeah, they were southern rock. 

The album is really good, and I think a lot of people, myself included, just dismissed them. Opting to listen to Hotel California over and over. Listening now to "So Into You" it's not the light song I thought it was. The guitar solo by Barry Bailey is awesome, and he's even pulling of little pinch squealies here and there. I wonder if a young Zakk Wylde was influenced by this song.

Champagne Jam (1978) is another solid album. Like it's predecessor, is under thirty five minutes with eight songs. Mixing rockers and softer songs. Heck, "Normal Love" sounds like something Andrew Gold would have written - which isn't a shot. The great thing about the mid 70s in retrospect was the diversity of music and the ability to take bits and pieces from whatever worked and make it your own.

For such a short album the band didn't seem to be in a hurry to rush through their songs. On the aptly named "Champagne Jam" they'd stretch out and show off their chops. Of course the big song here was THE HIT SINGLE, and it was a hit for a reason. It's really good. Commercially this album would be their most successful.

Underdog (1979) is yet another eight song album but not as short. ARS still featured the same core band, which I always find cool. Again the band is doing what it did best. Grooves and jams with radio friendly hooks. Funny how the changing of a decade generally marshalled in a changing of the guard, and with the emergence of new wave there was a migration away from the sounds of the 70s.

Whereas Champagne Jam went platinum, Underdog would go gold but their golden reign was over. The songs were good, and I found my self tapping my foot throughout. "It's Only Music" is one of my favourites from the album, with their version of "Spooky" a close second. Barry really did like his pinch harmonics, but man were his lead breaks tasty. There were line up changes on the horizon and the band would continue making albums but this was the end of the golden age.

Today's blog was was brought to you today by the letters "A.R.S.", and by the number "7". I know I'm going to peel more layers off the onion with subsequent sittings. Man, this was good stuff. When I was younger it just wasn't possible to buy everything you liked (although today with streaming services and stuff there's nothing you can't hear) so I had to pick my spots based on budget.

Of course now when I'm digging through the cheap bins, my only real limitation is space, and frankly it's going to be an issue soon and I'm going to get a scolding from my wife who warned me in advance not to start collecting records again. 

When I was reading through the band's site it mentioned the recent passing of Barry Bailey who played such stellar guitar throughout these albums. Looking deeper, all of the members of the band represented on these records with the exception of keyboard player Dean Daughty have passed away. 

Rest in peace boys.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the