Skip to main content

Three Dog Night - Cyan

Well lookie what the cat dragged in from the bins today (I was going to say dog, but I have some pride). Three Dog Night's 1973 release Cyan. The record still had its original shrink wrap (mostly intact), and the heavy inner sleeve was almost like a second album cover. The vinyl was in need of a cleaning, but it looked good. Not sure why it was in the bin, but I wasn't complaining.

The cover features seven dashing men in their early '70s finery. I was looking forward to sitting and listening to this one. "Shambala" remains one of my favourite songs and was the reason I picked this up - that and it was only a buck. Yeah, I am cheap.

The first thing that jumped out at me as I held the sleeve, reading along as the band played, was that despite the lyrics and artwork, there was a distinct lack of actual credits. Half a page is used for the production and engineering credits, and equal space to the team who provided art direction and design. There is one small credit thanking Gordon De Witty for playing organ on "Let Me Serenade You," which is the album's other standout track.

Dang, I kind of wanted to put names to the guys on the cover. I suppose I'm going to have to go look this stuff up now. Where was the internet when I was a kid? Man, kids today have no idea what we went through to try and figure shit out. I had to walk five miles uphill each way to get to the record store, and then we had to wait in line because that's what we did. The radio only played what it wanted when it wanted to, and if you heard your favourite song, it was a banner day.

Near as I can figure, the guys on the cover are: Mike Allsup (guitar), Jimmy Greenspoon (keyboards), Jack Ryland (bass), Floyd Sneed (drums, and what a pounder), and three lead vocalists, which was pretty cool: Chuck Negron, Danny Hutton and Cory Wells. I wonder how they chose who got to do what? Cory Wells sang both of the singles off the album. Must have been a hell of a game of rock, paper, scissors.

The second thing (I listed a first thing, it's only courtesy to keep going) is the record, like so many albums back in the day, is short. A little over half an hour and covers nine tracks - two of which are killer songs, and hits for a reason. Regardless, I'm jibber jabbering. Getting to the deep tracks is a lot of fun, and actually the album is better than I expected.

I've been on an early '70s kick the last little bit. Not on purpose, that's just how things have played out in the basement. Kind of fun, to be honest. I was too young to appreciate a lot of stuff back then, and now it's part of the soundtrack to an era. Getting to listen with new ears never gets old.

I got their best-of CD a long time ago, and frankly, if you have an itch to hear the band, this is a great place to start. Or if you can find the double LP, that's even better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...