Skip to main content

Gerry Rafferty - Sleepwalking

Sleepwalking is one of my favourite albums ever. Released in 1982, Sleepwalking was a marked departure from his previous album, Snakes and Ladders, and the ones before that. So many people think of Gerry as a one-hit wonder because of "Baker Street" from 1978's City to City, and I suppose, depending on where you were, this was sort of true. But I remember a number of songs from his first few records getting radio play when I was a much younger man.

I was on a train in 1982, travelling back from a youth conference or something, when my friend Gerry - who had (and may still have) great taste in music - had a cassette copy of Sleepwalking and insisted I listen to it because it was awesome. Being a fan already, I listened to the first few songs, and gone were the folk elements; instead, the songs were laden with synthesisers. But it wasn't like he was trying to be Trio or Gary Numan - this was still unmistakably Gerry Rafferty. It was indeed awesome. I think I said so quite loudly too, since I was wearing headphones.

A couple of years after that fateful trip, I was out on a date, and before we went to the movies to see Gremlins, I took her to the mall. We popped into a record store, as you do when you're on a date, and there in the cutout bin was Sleepwalking. It was something I'd long wanted, so I picked it up. She was a great girl, but as history would have it, the thing that lasted was the record. True, it's been through some hard times - surviving a crawlspace flood and then being stored in a box for over twenty-five years.

Years and years later, I was finally able to get a CD copy. It might look like they went all deluxe with the packaging, but they didn't — no booklet, no lyrics, no credits. Still, it was awesome to have a copy I could play.

So why then am I in the basement sitting with a beat-up, water-stained lyric sheet, listening to my old vinyl? Because I can, and the vinyl, unlike the jacket, is still in pristine shape. I'm not objective enough to tell if this is dated or not, because to me this is vintage Gerry Rafferty. His choice to pair the more modern sound of keyboards and synths with real drums, bass, and guitar gives it a timelessness (though there are computer drums here and there).

The record features some amazing musicians: Liam Genockey on drums from Steeleye Span (a band I only discovered in the last few years), Mo Foster on bass, Hugh Burns on guitar (what a tasty player), and Alan Clark and Pick Withers from Dire Straits guesting on a couple of tracks. The album was produced by Christopher Neil and Gerry Rafferty, a departure from the previous albums, which had been helmed by Hugh Murphy.

I know history hasn't been kind to this album, and to a lot of people it would seem like each release after City to City was an exercise in diminishing returns. Not knowing how that side of the equation worked, I simply liked Gerry's music, loved his voice, and bought his records when they came out. Each of his records has something I love, but for me Sleepwalking is his crowning achievement. It's as haunting and beautiful a record as I've ever heard.

Meanwhile back in the music business the best goes on and on
I sell my soul to the company man, when there's nothing else to lean upon

Gerry was an artist who passed away in 2011 at the age of 63. His posthumous release Rest in Blue, which came out in 2021, should be in your collection as well. Actually, you should just get them all. Just remember to give Sleepwalking some love. It's a masterpiece.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...