Skip to main content

Karla Bonoff - Karla Bonoff

Over the last year I've been on a Linda Ronstadt kick. I managed to find several of her albums in the dollar bin that were in fantastic shape, and from there it led to a couple of albums by Andrew Gold. Today the bins coughed up Karla Bonoff's 1977 debut.

Karla contributed to Linda's release Hasten Down the Wind the year before, as a songwriter and providing backing vocals on two of the three tracks she'd written for the album.

The album itself was in decent shape. The jacket was okay, but sadly there was no insert, so who knows what may or may not have been on the liner. The back cover had a lot of information, though, which I always appreciate.

This was an album I was looking forward to hearing, as I'd never heard the album or anything by Karla that I can remember. I wasn't sure what to expect (I had some idea, but you never know. There are a lot of great writers that need good singers. Jennifer Warnes comes to mind, who was great with Leonard Cohen songs. Anyway, I'm getting way off topic and getting lost in the parentheses).

Boy, it didn't disappoint.

You can certainly hear echoes of Linda in her vocals, and it's hard to separate one from the other, to be honest, particularly when a year later Karla revisits her own songs. Helping - and not helping - with this comparison was the stable of musicians she used to record her album.

Andrew Gold is here, as is Kenny Edwards, who in addition to playing also produced. Both had history with Linda. Heck, the list of credits is mind-boggling. It seems every L.A. ace was somehow involved, from Leland Sklar on bass to J.D. Souther and Glenn Frey providing backing vocals on "If He's Ever Near," which is an amazingly beautiful song.

Heck, Linda returns the favour by providing backing vocals on two tracks, "Home" and "Rose in the Garden," which are really great songs. The album sounds amazing too. Greg Ladanyi engineered so many wonderful records.

back cover

Rock and roll is a funny thing. There can be literally dozens of sound-alike bands fronted by men, but Karla seemed to be relegated to being that singer who sounded like Linda Ronstadt. Since rock and roll already had a Linda, did it need a Karla too?

Especially since, just a year earlier, three of the ten songs on her debut were released by Linda.

Sure, Karla killed it. Why wouldn't she? They were her songs. I don't think it helped with the inevitable comparisons, but I suspect they'd have been there regardless, just given the circle they were in.

Did I mention she killed it?

As to redoing her songs, it's like they were written for her, and that's likely why she put them on the album. Which isn't to take away from the other 70% of the album, which doesn't have a weak track in the lot.

With the passage of time and being able to listen to this with fresh ears and no baggage, I love it. I am a sucker for this era of L.A. rock and roll. It's funny (not ha-ha) how fresh this still sounds and highlights how little things have changed in some respects.

Maybe Karla didn't step out from the shadows of her contemporaries. Maybe she didn't need to, as she cast enough light to be seen.

And she's still heard.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...