Skip to main content

Harry Belafonte - Belafonte's Christmas,

This version of Belafonte's Christmas was released in 1976 by RCA Records Canada. Many of the recordings apparently date back to 1958, and this collection is the same as the 1962 reissue that added "Mary's Boy Child" to the song order. I did see the earlier version in the bin, but it was in really poor condition and, other than reversing the side order, appeared to be the same. Besides, the cover on the one I picked up looked brand new. The vinyl, while not quite as pristine, was really nice.

Listening to this now, I think re-sequencing the song order to start with "Mary's Boy Child" was the right call. It's a great song, and a great way to start the album. It's too bad they didn't close the album with "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." Then again, that would likely have meant remastering the album, and it was cheaper to relabel the sides and put the hit first.

Harry Belafonte is one of those singers who can captivate you with his voice. Belafonte's Christmas is a really good Christmas album, and he performs a number of the standards: "Silent Night," "The Twelve Days of Christmas," and "The First Noel." But then he goes deep and pulls out songs like "Christmas Is Coming," which is sung in a round, sort of like a festive "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," and it's better than you'd think.

Of course, bringing "Mary's Boy Child" into the festive carol canon was a coup, but he didn't stop there. His version of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" remains one of my favourite songs over the holidays. People like to show off by saying, "Oh, that's Henry Wadsworth Longfellow," which is true. He wrote the poem, but it was Johnny Marks who brought this to life as we know it. If you're not up on Johnny Marks, you should be. It's strange to me that Bing Crosby, who had recorded the song before Mr. Belafonte, did not include it on his Merry Christmas album.

I've played this through a few times now, and there's a sombre reverence to most of the songs. There is a short essay on the back cover by Watson Wylie that encapsulates the album perfectly:

"As every Belafonte follower knows, he moves easily and vividly from boisterousness to tenderness, from merriment to soul-searching."

This explains why he can get away with singing the ever-irritating "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and then pull on your emotions with "The Son of Mary."

A good find, and a great addition to my Christmas collection. I suppose this is out of fashion now, as it's an album that needs to be listened to, and not merely played in the background.

It's worth the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...