Skip to main content

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Christmas Album

There's no telling what you can find if you spend enough time riffling through the dollar bins. I originally picked this one up, and then put it back - then found another copy, so I went back and compared the two and figured it was a sign so I put it in the pile. It cleaned up nice, and I could hardly wait to see what kind of cheese I was in for.

As a kid I thought Herb Alpert's trumpet playing was the coolest of the cool and "Spanish Flea" would crack me up every time I heard it, and as I got older I picked up on the subtext and thought it was funnier than ever. Their style of articulated trumpet soloing would go on to provide the thematic fodder for game show theme composers for years to come.

I'm somewhat conflicted, as there are truly great heaping dollops of pure whipped cheese throughout the album, especially the trumpet parts on "Jingle Bells" but there are a couple of really nice renditions as well, which actually make this more enjoyable than I expected it to be.

On the first listen I wasn't expecting a lead vocal, and suddenly Herb pipes up and sings a very good rendition of "The Christmas Song" which I actually went and looked up to see if he really did sing it. Apparently he did. Well done, sir. This is followed by "Las Mananitas" that feels very authentic, except that it's played by a bunch of white dudes - still I love the baritone guitar with the tremolo, it's awesome. Still, I really liked it. Then again, the whole album feels mighty white, complete with the vanilla trappingsof a smooth "shooby do wah" backing vocals.

The more I played the album, the more fun it was. It was weird as I really only bought this to make fun of it, not enjoy the experience. I think these guys were more in on the joke than people realized. They were very much of their time, and without the Brazilian jazz explosion and artists like Sergio Mendes and kept alive with the schmoozey stylings of bands like The 5th Dimension and their stupid balloon, good old Herb would likely have had a much shorter shelf life.

On the second side Mr. Alpert again steps up to the microphone, this time on Burt Bacharach's "The Bell that Couldn't Jingle" another surprisingly good song. In terms of a decent fireside relaxing Christmas album this is actually putting me in the Christmas spirit. However, the highlight of the album is when the band swerves into a burlesque rendition of "Jingle Bell Rock" luckily it wasn't longer as I'd only managed to dance around and hope on one foot to take off my socks - I don't think it would have been appropriate to continue undressing to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" although I do wonder at the pairing of these two songs.

Still this Herb Alpert was no dummy, and between him and Jerry Moss the "M" in A&M records he was able to parlay his success here into success elsewhere, so who had the last laugh playing trumpet with a mariachi styled jazz ensemble? 

When I was reading up on the album, I saw a comment about Herb Alpert wearing a fake beard and Santa hat and perform Christmas songs, as he was Jewish after all. Hey, I hate to break it to you, Jesus was Jewish too, and he was okay with Christmas.

As they say, "Jesus is the reason for the Season"

Marry Christmas to you too Mister Alpert.

Merry 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the