Skip to main content

Johnny Nash - The Prince of Peace

Johnny Nash is probably best known for his 1972 hit "I Can See Clearly Now," a song I once thought my Uncle Lloyd had written because he used to sing it when I was a kid. When I finally heard Johnny Nash's version on the radio, I was pretty excited.

"My uncle wrote that!"

Sigh ... the innocence of youth.

But before his big breakthrough, he recorded on his own JAD Records label, which was named after himself, producer Arthur Jenkins, and manager Danny Sims. They recorded in Kingston, Jamaica, which was a pretty tropical place to record a holiday album. It kind of explains why songs like "Baby It's Cold Outside," "Winter Wonderland," and "White Christmas" are absent - but record a Christmas album he did, and in 1969 The Prince of Peace was released.

I'd never heard any of these songs before, which gave me a moment's pause, but the album looked really cool with the 3D image of Johnny on the cover. As an added bonus, it was still in its original shrink-wrap - and while there was no insert, the vinyl itself looked okay. For a dollar, how could I go wrong?

While this is an enjoyable record, there wasn't really anything memorable that stood out the first time through, which is too bad because he has a very nice voice and the arrangements are quite good. There are elements of R&B, gospel, and light orchestrated pop, but nothing for me to really get excited about.

I will say he took a chance with his arrangement of the classic "The Christmas Song" and sang it differently than most versions I've heard, but it wasn't necessarily an improvement on the original. Still, he made a go of making it his own.

That being said, I will give him props for his song selection. For that alone I'm okay putting this on as background music. It's nice to have unfamiliar carols like "The Borning Day," "The Prince of Peace," and "Sweet Little Jesus Boy" playing once in a while. I've played the album a few times now, and it's these songs that have emerged as the centrepieces of the album.

I have to remind myself this was released in 1969 and that I'm sitting in my cozy chair by the tree listening to it in the present and judging it by my standards -which are pretty loose at times. I should know better than to sit and write in real time because, unlike movies, where you're mostly one and done, music is more nuanced. 

My first time through it was nice, but it didn't really resonate. So I played it again while I went back and did some editing - yes, I do edit, just not very well - and, as it's Christmas, what better way to close out than with a really badly paraphrased Bible verse that sums up The Prince of Peace:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but I can see clearly now."

I'll see myself out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...