Skip to main content

The Andy Williams Christmas Album

To prepare for this holiday season I went to my go-to store and decided to take advantage of their Black Friday sale and pillage their dollar bin to see what was there.

I ended up finding an even dozen albums and, with the discount (yeah, I'm so cheap I was looking for a deal on albums in the dollar bins), I was out of there for less than ten bucks.

Here we are December 1, and we're (the Royal "We") going into the Christmas pile and starting off with Andy Williams' classic from 1963.

You never know what you're going to end up with, but I wound up with a very nice copy, and as a plus, the jacket still had its original shrinkwrap. I still find it odd when I find a record thusly wrapped. I had friends who told me never, ever, ever leave that shit on - it'll warp your records.

Anyway, I've always loved Andy Williams. As a young kid, I have a handful of memories. From The Andy Williams Show I remember Cookie Bear. Don't ask me why.

The other was making my mum comb my hair like Glenn Campbell. If she couldn't get my side part to curl up properly, I'd not want to go to school.

Ah, the early '70s - they were the best of times.

This album remains one of my favourites, and all of the big songs are here. The ever ubiquitous "White Christmas" gets a wonderful rendition, and the number of great songs here is only marred by "A Song and a Christmas Tree," which is an odd rendition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." It tries a variation on a theme and misses (by that much).

Still, there's an almost hypnotic quality to Andy Williams' voice that just melts me.

Of course I have to call out "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" as the album's great contribution to the Christmas carol canon.

It's interesting that every artist, even Andy, had to take a crack at the quintessential Christmas song, "White Christmas," but to me a close second is "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year." It too is a signature song, and oddly enough, few artists have tried to cover it.

Oh, I know there have been a few who've tried, but you never hear them.

One tends to forget how big a deal Mister Williams was at one point. Even if he's remembered for nothing other than his Christmas album, he'll still live on.

I like that he writes Happy Holidays on the back cover. To those who like to argue this takes the "Christ" out of Christmas, they weren't paying attention to the songs on the album.

It really is the most wonderful time of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...