Skip to main content

Edgar Winter's White Trash - Roadwork

I picked this up in the dollar bin a couple of months ago, and after some TLC the vinyl cleaned up surprisingly well, I mean really well. The gatefold was in decent shape, but if there were any liner notes they were lost to time. This was an album that intrigued me, and the song I most excited to listen to was "Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo" as I was curious to hear how different this was from the version I was most familiar with - that being Rick Derringer's 1973 killer from his solo debut album All American Boy. Oddly enough only a few months after Roadwork was released in 1972 The Edgar Winter Group would release They Only Come Out at Night and the rest as they say is history, as that album would yield two of his biggest hits in "Frankenstein" and "Free Ride" both of which would be forever cemented in the foundations of what would become classic rock. 

However, this isn't about that album, this about their double live album Roadwork. I was coming in with a fresh set of ears to something my nine year old self wouldn't have known how to process, let alone appreciate most likely. First thing I love about albums from this time period is how the labels would sequence the records. The first album contains sides one and four, and the second has sides two and three. I'm likely just going to state the obvious, but who knows, maybe someone doesn't know why this was done. After all not that long ago I was walking the dog with my (awesome) niece and a guy walks by and on his shirt is a giant yellow 45 insert adapter. I laughed and asked her if she knew what it was. She had no idea, leaving me to try and explain what a 45 was, and it sort of just went downhill from there - but it was a nice walk.

The reason the album was sequenced like this was back when I was a kid, the big hi-fi units like my parents had allowed you to multi-stack several records. If you had a double live album you could "automatically" play sides one and two, and then flip the stack and play sides three and four. If you didn't know this before, now you do. You're welcome. By the way, I found this picture on an auction site and this is what my mum still has. At the time it went really loud (I know this, because when they weren't home I would crank it, and it would rattle the sliding doors), although it's kind of spotty now, but sheesh this thing weighed a ton, and was real walnut.

Anyway, I'm meanderambling ... worse than normal.

Playing the album now is pain in the ass because I have to actually swap out records, so I just generally play the first and last side, and then can listen to the middle two in order. It's not so bad, but there are times I want to hear it and follow along with the credits.

As I have the luxury of working backward through time, and knowing a little about Edgar Winter, and Rick Derringer, and not as much about Johnny (I so badly want a tobacco burst Gibson Firebird with the three pickups and shitty vibrola tremolo system) in my head I was expecting a rock and roll extravaganza filled with blistering riffs, keyboards, soaring vocals, and saxophone.

What I got was an awesome record for sure, but the music is more rhythm and blues, than straight ahead rock like "Free Ride" or even "Frankenstein" but that's okay. I was groovin' and I actually started thinking about the Blues Brothers - then low and behold on comes Otis Redding's classic "I Can't Turn You Loose" and dang I know it was a half dozen years before Jake and Elwood Blues would don the black suits and matching fedoras, but I wanted to shout out "These guys are on a mission from God." 

There are some great songs on these albums, and of course it would be hard to not call out the side dedicated to a seventeen minute version of "Tobacco Road" that wisely goes for a relatively straight ahead, albeit, extended version before heading off into the solo tangents, which are great and a lot of fun - but after a bit get a bit tiring to listen to after a couple of listens. 

Side four starts off with a set recorded at the legendary Apollo Theatre in New York. The band is introduced, and you can hear an audible gasp as Edgar walked onto the stage. I suppose if there were any reservations about White Trash they were quickly dispelled as the band appeared to quickly win over the audience. In addition to the songs recorded at The Apollo, performances were taken from the Academy of Music, also in New York and The Whisky a Go Go in L.A.

Overall, this was a really great mix of R&B, with gospel overtones, especially on the first cut "Save the Planet", and good old rock and roll. The band was tight, and between Edgar, Jerry LaCroix, and Rick Derringer there were three lead vocalists on stage - well four, counting the cameo by Johnny. Not to mention both Jerry and Edgar played sax, and a trio of trumpet players and a solid rhythm section in Bobby Ramirez on drums and Randy Jo Hobbs on bass.

It's kind of cool to think the album went gold in 1974, a couple of years after it was initially released. Makes me wonder how many others were drawn to his back catalogue because of his "hits" only to discover his R&B roots and be just as enthralled?

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the