Skip to main content

Kansas - Drastic Measures

This is my favourite Kansas album. Other than a couple of songs I'd heard on the radio I didn't really know much about the band. I do know my buddy Gord liked them and I first heard "Relentless" on one of his mix tapes - and that was an awesome tune. I didn't really have any baggage when it came to the band. When I picked up their 1982 release Vinyl Confessions I didn't realize there was a changing on the guard when a young John Elefante replaced Steve Walsh on vocals.

By the time Drastic Measures dropped in 1983 I'd gone back and picked up the excellent (to me) Audio-Visions and had started picking up the band's back catalogue and was really getting into the band. I'll be the first to admit my preferences leaned to the rock songs, and the more meandering wiffle waffle stuff I put up with to get to the rock songs. Yeah, I'm thinking about "A Glimpse of Home" from Monolith with it's pure cheese old timey sci-fi radio intro ... but I'm wandering off track. I'm really just trying to say that the prog elements were wasted on me. I wanted the big guitars, the big hooks and the soaring vocals.

Even the cover was a departure for the band. For the first time since Song for America adopted their distinctive logo Drastic Measures featured a simple font spelling out the band's name and album title. Frankly I thought the bazooka was a nice touch ... then again, I had no sense of history. As if to put more distance between the '70s and drag themselves into the '80s vocalist and violin player Robby Steinhardt departed. This was the album John Elefante and his brother Dino took on the majority of the songwriting with Kerry Livgren only contributing three on the album's nine tracks. At the time this didn't mean anything to me, and all I knew was the album charged out of the gate with "Fire with Fire" and didn't look back. 

Many of the songs seem to hint at John's immersion into the heady world of being a "rock star" and he seems to be trying to make sense out of his newly minted fame through his lyrics. Of course I could also be completely full of shit, but I still really like "Everybody's My Friend" with it's opening "Hello, hello" followed by Phil Ehart's splat splat drums. Kerry's song "Mainstream" give a glimpse into the pressures of trying to feed the Kansas machine and you get the sense that there are further changes afoot in the future.

Which leads into the actual sound of the album. I'm pretty sure this can be attributed to co-producer and engineer Neil Kernon who coincidentally that same year produced Steve Walsh's new band Streets as well. I've always found the album to be rather dark sounding with a muddy bottom and overly accentuated mid range. Phil's drum sound wasn't as crisp and snappy - it wasn't like he was playing on a cardboard box, but it was it's own sound. Frankly in the context of the album I really liked it - I liked all of it. It was cohesive and it did shed all of the band's previous baggage in terms of what a Kansas album was supposed to sound like.

The album closes out with Kerry's "Incident on a Bridge" and it's a fitting closer. "And I know, for each life there is a reason / And I know, for each time there is a season" and as fate would have it, this would mark the end of this chapter in Kansas history.

Kerry and Dave would leave and form the band AD, and Steve Walsh after a couple of albums with Streets would return to Kansas and along with a new guitar player Steve Morse would start another chapter with the band.

Those are, as they say stories for another day.

Drastic Measures to me will always be a favourite album - not just a favourite Kansas album. I can totally see how this album represented the nadir of the band's output as it was an overt and very obvious attempt at commercial success. Did it succeed? Depends on who you ask I guess. I loved this album, and through John and Dino Elefante a whole world of music opened up - and the output from Kerry Livgren first with AD and then solo filled my shelves. Heck, even Steve Walsh and his two albums with Streets and his own very good solo work has a place in my heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the