Skip to main content

Sweeney Todd - Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd will forever be remembered as the band who released "Roxy Roller," a song that was everywhere when I was a kid. The song was pure glam, and Gilder's sultry vocals enhanced it. Despite his high-pitched delivery, there was a cockiness to the song that made you want to strut - or at the very least put on a pair of roller skates, be a rebel, and skate counter-clockwise.

After the debut, Nick Gilder would leave the band, along with guitarist James McCulloch, and collaborate on Gilder's "Hot Child in the City." For a short time, Bryan Adams would join Dan Gaudin, Budd Marr, and John Booth, and they would release one more album and even re-record their seminal hit.

I have a few collections that include "Roxy Roller," so it was a jarring surprise to hear the album cut. The guitar solo is vastly different, and the running time is about a minute longer. I've actually gone back and played the song a couple of times just to be sure.

This is about as weird as hearing The Sweet's album version of "Love Is Like Oxygen" when you think you know the song, only to realize you've always known the radio edit, and the album version feels - well, weird. In the case of The Sweet, the album cut is amazing. For Sweeney Todd, I'm still processing.

What I do like, though, is after all this time being surprised and presented with something new from something so familiar.

Listening to this for the first time, it's very glam, which I guess was the pop version of prog - but with shorter songs and more attitude. The songs are good, and while the album starts off with their killer signature song, the rest aren't relegated to filler status.

Heck, the first side ends with a rather strange instrumental titled "The Kilt" that leaves you wondering: where will side two pick up?

Well, it picks up with "Rock 'n' Roll Story," which musically pairs pretty well with "Roxy Roller." The guitar riff reminds me a little of Elton John's "The Bitch Is Back," and Nick's voice is so high it's hard to imagine this was the height of cool back in 1975.

The album closes out with "Let's All Do It Again," and it's a fitting end to an enjoyable trip down memory lane. Oddly enough, it's a song I can picture fitting right in with The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Go figure. Maybe I am stuck in a time warp.

Sadly, the copy I managed to find was a little worse for wear, and there's some rash and distortion on a couple of tracks. But this was a great find, along with the BTO and The Kings albums.

That was a good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...