Skip to main content

The Souther = Hillman = Furay Band (The SFH Band) - Trouble in Paradise

Sometimes the anticipation and mystery of the unknown are greater than the reality once revealed.  I found this album the same day I found the debut album by The Karroll Brothers, and at this time I mentioned I was pretty stoked about find this particular album. That Karroll Brothers album was a wonderful surprise - this one was a surprise too, but for different reasons.

Let's get a couple of things out of the way right up front. I'm a casual J.D. Souther fan, and I have a couple of his albums and aside from his "hit" "Only the Lonely" they were rather forgettable. However his contribution to the 1988 movie Permanent Record (where I  became a fan of Keanu Reeves) "Wishing on Another Lucky Star" is one of the finest pop songs EVER written. So for that alone, I consider myself a fan. Chris Hillman is another guy who I know more of, than I actually know of. I do have one of his albums, that was enjoyable, but can't actually remember any of the songs, but it was enjoyable. For me I remember him more guesting on The 77s "The Lust, the Flesh, the Eyes & the Pride of Life" where he provided backing vocals and played bass. Then there's Richie Furay, who I actually know very little about, other than he was in Buffalo Springfield and Poco at some point.

From a pedigree perspective The Souther Hillman Furay Band was filled with guys who circulated in the top tier of the who's who of rock. David Geffen features prominently in the thank you section as the last one mentioned in large print, and the album was on Asylum, so it's not like the guys were lacking support. The band also included the incredible Al Perkins on lead guitar and pedal steel and dobro. Trouble in Paradise was the band's second album and their swansong. 

Of the songs here, it is J.D. Souther who seems to connect more often than not, which may have been simply a function of his hit to  miss ration as he wrote four of the album's nine tracks, but truth be told, they're the strongest songs on the album. The album kicks off with "Trouble in Paradise" and is a pretty solid mid tempo song. The problem is that J.D. Souther's voice often bore more than a passing resemblance to Glenn Frey, which could be great or distracting.

Chris Hillman's songs are enjoyable enough while they're playing, but once they're done they're also out of mind too. I wonder if he had pull with the mixing engineer as the bass is pretty far forward in the mix throughout - not a bad thing, just saying. 

Considering this was released in 1975, and the other bands in their orbit, thinking of Eagles, or Linda Ronstadt or even America, I'm surprised they didn't lean into the country rock and have more harmonies that played to their inherent strengths - of course as I write this Richie Furay's song "For Someone I Love" is playing and is filled with lush harmonies. Oh well, that'll teach me to write before actually "listening" to the album. To be fair, this was the second pass through before I noticed.

"Mexico" jumped out the first time through as a decent song, and the second time through it's even better. I'm not sure if the warble on the "mariachi" guitars was intentional but it sounds old timey ... I know that may not make sense, but to me it does. This isn't meant as a shot, the song is really good and I wonder if Jimmy Buffett knew the song and expanded the theme on his 1977 hit "Margaritaville"?

Another song by J.D. Souther "Prisoner in Disguise" is a really strong song, that makes me think it would have been a killer track for Glenn Frey on an Eagles album. It's not like J.D. didn't have great success as a writer for other artists. "Somebody Must Be Wrong" closes out the album and is one of the better songs here, and features both Glenn Frey and Don Henley on backing vocals - sort of like adding a secret sauce that unfortunately highlights the inevitable comparisons another high flying band. 

In all the album felt like the whole was less than the sum of it's parts things. The band released a pretty solid if ultimately forgettable album that just felt derivative. There's nothing terrible about this, and it's a decent listen while it's playing (as I finish writing this, I've listened to a few times through, and it gets a little better with each spin), but once done there's not a lot to compel me to play it again, and I suspect given a couple of weeks I won't be able to remember what was on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the