Behind Closed Doors was one of those records that managed to have enough crossover appeal to spill over onto the AM radio I listened to as a kid. Between singing along to "Cover of the Rolling Stone" (yeah, tell 'em who we are) and wondering who Stealers Wheel was stuck in the middle with, there was a big silky voice asking if I'd seen "The Most Beautiful Girl?"
I don't remember if I liked it or not back then, but it was played a lot. That Charlie Rich guy was no Brownsville Station, that's for sure. However, here we are practically fifty years after the fact, and I'm listening to Behind Closed Doors, and this is a well-crafted effort that falls more into the country camp than the pop arena - but a good album is a good album (most of the time).
This was an album my wife grew up with, and when I started playing records again, she "borrowed" the beat-up and scratched copy (she claims to have no knowledge of how it came to be in such bad shape) from her parents' house. We listened to it a few times, and I tried to be forgiving of the pops and clicks and just let it be part of the experience - but goodness, there's a limit. If it wasn't for the distortion and pops on the big hit, I'd have let it slide, but dang, it was so distracting.
I've kept an eye out for a decent copy ever since, and lo and behold I found a copy that still had the shrink-wrap and original price sticker. There were no liner notes, but then again, the copy my wife brought home just had a plain insert, so I wasn't missing anything we didn't already have. The icing on the cake was this only cost me a buck, and it was in much better shape than the copy I had.
Win, win, and I put her copy in a frame, so wins all around.
Having played this through a few times, I really enjoy it. It does have a pop or two, but nothing too distracting. While the production, especially on the strings, is very dated (very shrill, like a Frank Chacksfield arrangement - what my mum calls "lush"), there's something about a really great singer that just elevates the songs.
The big song here is the classic "The Most Beautiful Girl," which is a fantastic track, but also has one of the strangest fades I've heard on a song, let alone a monster hit. The song is still building to a crescendo, and it's like the engineer started fading it out as a joke during mixing, and it slipped through the cracks and made it to the master tapes.
The other truly outstanding song on the album is the title track, "Behind Closed Doors."
Country may not be something I listen to a lot, but you have to give credit where credit is due - and The Silver Fox here delivered a solid one-two combination with "Behind Closed Doors" and "The Most Beautiful Girl." It certainly didn't hurt that the rest of the album was good too.
The nice thing about having the stereo in the basement is I can play things pretty loud, and I can get away with playing a country record because the neighbours can't really hear it - after all, I'm playing it (don't you roll your eyes at me, I haven't even finished the sentence yet)... Behind Closed Doors.
Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your server.
Comments
Post a Comment