Skip to main content

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. 

I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem.

There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Michael David Rosenberg the guy who calls himself Passenger, but he wasn't even born when this came out - and frankly Garfield French doesn't really have his irritating delivery. It was a passing resemblance, and the more I think about it, the more I think I'm being unfair to Mr. French. Let's just say he has an interesting voice, and it works here.

I'm just about through the first side, and this is pretty interesting. I'm still having trouble trying to peg it down into a genre that would describe it - I guess it is sort of progressive to a point with folk leanings played by a party band. "Old Time Movies" has just finished and it was probably the best song so far. Come on, any song that opens with a barking dog (I don't think it was a real dog, but it was a decent bark for all that) and has "Taps" playing in the background is going to deliver a good time. Although I have to give props to the song before it, "Above Market Street" was pretty cool too. This was pretty good. I'll have to spin it again.

Back in a moment ... (one minute and eleven seconds later...)

Side two opens with "Nanny's Song" and it's right from mid 70s singer songwriter love song playbook, it's okay but doesn't really do much for me. It's a slow groove with chimes and synthesizer and sort of blends into the next song, which is more moody, and while not a great song, at least not on the first pass, I suspect it'll grow on me. "Catch You Next Time Around" is a really great tune and probably the most accessible song so far if you're looking for a pop song. I have to say I'm really digging how Garfield sings. He's quirky with a sense of intimacy - it sort of catches you a little off guard at first but it's not unpleasant. 

The album closes "Eyes" a near nine minute magnum opus and is big, bombastic and is full on progressive rock with all the trimmings. I mean there are synthesizers, chimes and tympani. Chip Yarwood earns his place in the credits with his flute. Frankly this is the best song on the album. This could only have come out in the mid 70s. It's awesome.

It's over, and I'm trying to next my thoughts. Garfield French doesn't write verse, chorus, bridge pop - I'd be hard pressed to think of a repeatable hook. This is when I really miss the insert - although who knows if there were lyrics, it was likely just a dust jacket - I'll pretend there were and lament their loss. This was one of those big bands, with a lot of members. I think the only one who didn't make it into the band shot was Bob Hill, who played piano and provided some backing vocals.

However, from the jacket the players were:

  • Garfield French: Acoustic, lead vocals, piano
  • Dennis French: Drums, tympani, chimes, vibes, percussion, background vocals
  • Walter Lawrence: Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric cello, background vocals
  • Chip Yarwood: Flute, electric flute, synthesizers, vibes, background vocals
  • Paul O'Donnell : Guitars, harmonica, banjo, organ, synthesizer, background vocals
  • Maris Tora: Bass, background vocals
  • Jacques Fillion: Keyboards, backing vocals
I don't know if Dennis and Garfield were related, there's not a lot of good information out there, but these guys created a wall of sound.

It was a fun listen, and a really pleasant surprise. There was a fair amount a crackle, but not so much as to take me out of the experience - I'm guessing there's still some cleaning to be done - but overall things played great and more importantly - sounded great. Yeah, about about that Passenger thing - it just a passing thing on the first track.

The album was produced by Elliot F. Mazer for the Super Record Productions Company and was recorded by His Master's Wheels (I wonder if that's John "Wheels" Hurlbut?) Nope, apparently it was just the name of the studio.

I think it's time to look these guys up and see if there's more to the story. Apparently they were up for "Most Promising Group" at the 1977 Juno Awards, but they lost to a band I'd never heard of. Typical. I think that was the year Hagood Hardy won a Juno for "The Homecoming" and BTO were nominated too, but lost to Heart who were at that time considered Canadian content. There wasn't much on TV back then and the Junos were a big deal. Oh, trivia Nestor Pistor lost "Most Promising Male Vocalist" to Burton Cummings ... yeah, I guess starting a solo career when you're already famous makes you a new artist.

Anyway, from what I can see Garfield would release three more albums before going on hiatus in 1981. It looks like Garfield French is still active which is kind of cool.

Mr. French, I know I'm a little late here, but Strange Streets was pretty cool.

I have no memory of Garfield, other than to take a cheap shot about a grumpy cat who also had his debut in 1976 - that I do remember.

Comments

  1. I saw Garfield in late 1979 or early 1980 at Red River College in Winnipeg. Their music had such a profound impact on me, they were my favourite band. I purchased their first 3 albums, & I still enjoy them today. I’ve told my friends & kids about Garfield. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find their music today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first heard Garfield at the Breslau Hotel (outside of Kitchener, Ont.) and then in Dundas, Ont. at the old hotel there in the mid 1970's . They had just been signed to do their second record. I still have both records (great condition). I have enjoyed their music for near 50 years. Would love to see them live but I know it is doubtful. A solid memory for me - thank you.

      Delete
    2. Garfield has been a really pleasant surprise. I've since found a couple more of the groups albums, and haven't been disappointed. - JMC

      Delete
  2. Garfield was a regular band around the University of Waterloo in the mid 70s. We made an effort to see them wherever they were, on campus or off. Saw them also in Toronto and at the NAC in Ottawa (that was amazing). Still one of my favorite bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, that would have been really cool to have seen them live. Definitely one of the more pleasant discoveries I've made in a while. Traded a few messages with Garfield and he was a gentleman. - JMC

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the