Skip to main content

Larry Norman - Something New Under the Sun

I suppose I really should have gone with In Another Land as that was my first Larry Norman album, and one that was a really big deal to me - but it was also the foundation upon which my love for this particular album was built. An album I felt at the time was the best thing he'd ever done - of course with the benefit of hindsight I can unequivocally say that isn't true.

Larry Norman is a polarizing figure to a lot of people but I only knew him from his music, and first hand accounts from my dear dead dear friend Dave who went on tour with him doing live sound many years ago. Dave had nothing bad to say about him, and to quote good ol' Forrest Gump, "And that’s all I’ve got to say about that." To me Larry was as big a deal as there was and for many years I eagerly bought everything I could get my hands on - heck I even mail ordered all of those rehashed Essential anthologies. Even if he was more "Do what I say, not what I do" what he said made a big impact on me when I was young.

Something New Under the Sun was a raw, rough, and wonderfully cohesive album that was quite different from the trilogy that preceded it - and I think that irritated his parent label. Sure, he owned his own Solid Rock imprint - but distribution was something else entirely and without that you got nothing.

The album was recorded in 1977 and didn't see the light of day until 1981 - that's a long time between records (well, to be fair he did fill the space with stuff, however, that's for another day) - but it didn't kill his career, it was just a flesh wound. Once he was out front leading the way but the times they were a changing and Larry never really transitioned out of the 70s. Sure he'd release a lot more stuff, but it was a case of diminishing returns and recycled bits and pieces. Not to say there weren't occasional flashes of brilliance, but mostly he would be left behind as an artifact to a tumultuous time.

I'm sort of drifting a bit here, but as I listen to this, and have the album in front of me with the notes and cryptic messages this really felt like it was the start of something. It seemed like Larry was just getting started and had mapped out a master plan with songs had albums waiting to be completed and released. 

By this time I was firmly a fan of all things Solid Rock, from Randy Stonehill to Mark Heard one of the things I looked for in the credits was whether or not Jon Linn was playing guitar - to me that guy was Eddie Van Halen, Phil Keaggy and Eric Clapton rolled into one unsung guitar slinger. Something New Under the Sun was a showcase for Jon's playing. 

From the opening track "Hard Luck Bad News" he tears it up, anchoring the songs with a growl and when it was time to let loose he earned his nickname "Wonderfingers" - it was everything I wanted to hear when I was eighteen. This doesn't mean everything on the album gave me the finger tingles - I still want to drag the needle across the record to get to the end of "I Feel Like Dying." I get that it's a song that sets the stage for the despair of the protagonist Pilgrim - but it's just so bloody irritating. Thankfully things get back on track and the rest of the album clips along. The first side closes with "Watch What You're Doing" a song that is amazing, and then wears out it's welcome by not knowing when to end. There's a killer three minute song buried in that hot mess - and this was the edited and short version. Yeah, I have the full version somewhere, and it's - well, a lot. 

The second side is a new chapter and starts off with "Leaving The Past Behind" and sets the tone for the rest of the songs. Heck, even the slower blues spiritual on the second side "Put Your Life Into His Hands" is a song I appreciate. It's still not a song I particularly like, but Jon Linn saves the day when his slide work takes the spotlight. The album closes with "Let That Tape Keep Rolling" that takes pretty much every Chuck Berry trope and amps them up and let's them fly. The song serves as an encapsulation of the album and a bit of Larry's own history in music. It's a good closer and a really fun song.

I wasn't a Dylan fan, and it would be years and years later when I'd get that "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" from Bringing It All Back Home was the inspiration (well, note for note is more than inspiration) for "Nightmare #97" and even the album photos and layout was taken from Dylan's 1965 effort.

The album would hint at upcoming releases that he had planned and make passing references to, like when he'd see us again City of Lost Angels and Island in the Sky. At the time it was awesome to hear - it was like seeing a title card at the end of a movie announcing the name of the upcoming sequel. The promised albums never did come - the best laid plans and all that. I did send off for the "free record" and lyric song book. I have the record, but the lyric book is either lost, or in a box somewhere.

Here I am over forty years later listening to, and truly enjoying Something New Under the Sun - which of course it wasn't, it was a deliberate step into the past musically, but the point was to show we didn't have to be our old selves, we could be something new.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the