Skip to main content

Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun

Finding this was a great surprise and for a dollar I wasn't going to pass this one up. This is the Goldfish Records version (not sure if there is a difference is between the Bell Records pressing) and is dated 1973 and produced by Terry Jacks for Poppy Family Productions Ltd.

"Seasons in the Sun" was huge, and preteen me was a huge fan. Funny how time can turn turn on some songs. Mention this song now and you're more likely to get a roll eyes and a groan. I guess there are songs that just have an expiration. Kind of like trying to listen to Bobby Goldsboro sing "Honey" or around Christmas trying not to throw up in your mouth when "Christmas Shoes" comes on the radio.

Still, "Seasons in the Sun" deserves a better fate. But, more on that later I was more excited to hear the rest of the album. Was it full of cheese?

The first thing that stood out was the production and how crisp and intimate the recording is. The songs are forward, and while Terry isn't a powerful singer he had a very appealing delivery and the arrangements are really solid.

The first song is "Concrete Sea" and I have to admit I really like the song and it sets the tone for the album. There's a light and breezy quality -  a little bit like Paul Simon but with a dreamy quality. There are some quirky moments, the lushly orchestrated "Pumpkin Eater" seems like a throw away song but is delivered so earnestly I'm not sure I'm in or the joke or not. The first side closes with "Fire on the Skyline" that is really catchy and is a pretty decent 70s tinged rocker - it even takes the ending from The Beatles "A Day in the Life" and goes on for nearly as long.

Side two opens with "The Love Game" and is a pretty interesting song. One thing Mister Jacks never got a lot of credit for were his song arrangements (or maybe he did, but I was too young at the time to notice, or understand). I don't have a lot of knowledge about The Poppy Family, but I do remember two of their hits, the lesser being "Where Evil Grows" and "The Love Game" seems similar to me, but I may be reaching a little there.

"It's Been There From the Start" is a great song, but also seems to have borrowed some bits from The Zombie's "I Love You" but it's just a lick or two but it stood out. "Sail Away" is an interesting (in a good way) song and features a duet with an uncredited singer - I'm going to guess it was his wife (or ex depending on the timing of the release, they were divorced in 1973) Susan Jacks.

The album closes with "Seasons in the Sun" and I'm not sure if at the time Terry felt this would be a hit. I do know he really liked the song from what I've read and his attempts to produce a version with The Beach Boys is the stuff of legend. Regardless, his sequencing the tracks to have this last was brilliant. I do believe there's something to be said for a good song order, and I have so many albums where the killer song is first and sets the bar so high the rest of the album seems to collapse under the weight of expectations that are never met.

One thing about the album that really surprised me considering how big the single was, and the place Terry Jacks holds in Canadian music, is how little information I could find on Seasons in the Sun. No musician credits, or notes on the process all that good stuff - I've mostly come up empty. There was a passing reference to a young David Foster doing something on "Seasons in the Sun" but it was hardly even a sentence. The album us a mystery wrapped in bacon. 

Now I did find the version by The Kingston Trio that remained faithful to the English translation - and I know there are people who think Terry's rewritten version, a version he didn't take credit for as it is still attributed to Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen, is a monstrosity and ruined the song and its meaning.

I listened to The Kingston Trio version - I'll pass. Heck, I'll take the Nirvana version, and that's um - better left unheard.

It's interesting to me to discover these songs now and listening with the benefit of hindsight it's bittersweet to think that at his creative peak this would be his triumph and in many respects the last most people ever heard of Terry Jacks. Who knows why this happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the