Skip to main content

ABBA - The Album

Back in the day I bought one ABBA album, and it was their 1981 swansong (okay, they've since released Voyage, but it's after their best before date so I'm not counting it, even though I bought it) The Visitors and for me that was enough. Of course I'd end up with a couple of best of CDs and a few of their other albums. Then my daughter went through her Mamma Mia phase and a decade later we had to watch Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again which had stretched things pretty thin as I thought they'd more or less used up their best songs in the first one, that and it looked like Cher would break if she moved too quickly.

I never really went through an anti-ABBA phase and I liked a lot of their songs - but I didn't go out of my way to broadcast this to my friends. Apparently they were often categorized as disco, but they were just vanilla pop that didn't offend your parents. However, as I'm listening to this my wife yells downstairs, "Honey, are you on a disco kick first the Bee Gees, now ABBA?" I shout back, "No! They aren't disco, you just don't understand!" Then I slam the door and petulantly sat on the floor and listened to the rest of the record - but I couldn't stay mad - darn you ABBA for being so cheery.

The Album was a pretty nifty find for a dollar. It still had the shrinkwrap and liner notes and everything. Based on the two big songs this was already worth my buck. It could be fun discovering what else was under the hood. Part of me was hoping for a train wreck equal to "Pick a Bale of Cotton"/"On Top of Old Smokey"/"Midnight Special" (medley) that showed up as a bonus track on a CD - if you've not heard this, you're missing out. It's amazingly horrific.

"Eagle" leads off the album and is really good, but it''s the next one "Take a Chance on Me" that was the big hit, and rightly so. It's a great track. The first side is closes out with the other big song, "The Name of the Game." The one song I wasn't familiar with was "One Man, One Woman" which was pretty good, and musically full of the bombastic grandeur you expect in an ABBA love song. So far the album is really good.

The second side is more new territory. The only song I've heard before is "Thank You for the Music" so there's still a chance I'll get my bale of cotton moment. Fingers crossed. Oh, it's close. Bjorn narrates the start of "Move On" I swear he's put on a western drawl and it's got those "Fernando" trilling flutes or whatever they are. I'm not sure where I sit with this one but it was silly fun. "Hole in Your Soul" reminded me a little of "Waterloo" not sure why - they're really nothing alike. Decent enough, and with the rest of the album is enjoyable but nothing that really stands on its own - maybe after a few more spins. 

The last three songs are from "The Girl with the Golden Hair" - 3 scenes from a mini-musical - "Thank You for the Music", "I Wonder (Departure)" and closes with "I'm a Marionette" Yeah, these are show tunes. Well, I'm going to embrace the unknown here and just let myself enjoy the rest of the album. I can't be too hard on this stuff after all, I have South Pacific, and Porgy and Bess on vinyl so it's not like I can just wash these songs right out of my ears (bonus marks if you sang that in your head). They may not have been the three best songs on the album, but as a piece this is my favourite part of the album.

ABBA really just did what they wanted on their terms, and when they were good they were exceptional, and that gave them the leeway to venture off and do whatever they wanted to do. If they wanted to have Bjorn put on an accent he could put on an accent, and if they wanted to do a mini musical, they'd do that too. Why not? If they were just about trying to be with the current trends, and churn out songs like sausages they'd have gone full disco, after all it was 1977 and the Bee Gees were killing it, and they could have just done more variations of "Dancing Queen" and raked it in, but to them that wasn't the name of the game.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the