Skip to main content

Brad Whitford / Derek St. Holmes - Whitford St. Holmes

Whitford St. Holmes
My goodness. Right out of the gate "I Need Love" hits it out of the park. I honestly had no idea what to expect. I sort of figured this would be one of those easy to shit on records because no one else knew about it either when it came out in 1981. Derek St. Holmes oddly seems to really be channelling his inner Sammy Hagar. Admittedly, I don't have the deepest well of recordings with Derek to draw upon. Double Live Gonzo from Uncle Ted about sums it up for me - don't get me wrong, that album is the cats pajamas and security blanket all rolled into one. I like Sammy, but he was never my favourite vocalist. So I guess I sort of expected Derek to sound like Derek ... maybe it's Sammy who sounds like Derek and I have it backwards.

That said, Derek is all swagger and Brad Whitford was finally allowed off leash to play lead and he's really solid - the rest of the band was rounded out with Dave Hewitt on bass and Steve Pace on drums. The album was produced by Tom Allom who the year before helped Judas Priest unleash British Steel. So it wasn't like the guys weren't given a shot. It's just unfortunate that Columbia decided the album cover was a keeper. I mean, it looks like something the guys in Air Supply passed on.

"Every Morning" is up now, and this song is great. Listening to this now is a bit weird as I have all the years of stuff that came after, and my experience is coloured by four decades of musical baggage. So really what I am left with is a pretty simple equation. I either like it, or I don't. 

credits
I like it. Then again I am particularly partial to guitar driven rock, even if it is derivative. I'll probably give this a couple of spins and file it away, but I'll think of this as a decent album that deserved a better fate.

I mean, I really do like this, and who knows where this would have been fitted into my experiences had I discovered this earlier. I mean, back in 1981 I was still listening to Aerosmith's Rocks and even Ted's live album was still in regular rotation so there's a really good chance this would have been ... just what the doctor ordered.

The second side kicks of with "Action" and while this isn't as good as songs of the same name by Sweet, or Streetheart, it's decent lead in. Thankfully the band gets back to their groove with "Shy Away" another very good rock song. So far, there hasn't been a dud. Maybe this was a little too slick, and at times too generic, but man it was pretty darned good. I suppose people dismissed this out of hand without hearing it or giving it a chance assuming that compared to the best of what Aerosmith or Nugent with Derek on vocals put out, this album while enjoyable, very enjoyable at times, just couldn't possibly measure up.

back cover
Keeping with the baseball analogy the boys managed to hit more than a few out of the park here, and overall this was a much better album than I expected it to be ... a lost gem? Maybe. It's a solid dependable rock record. It's too bad they were playing to empty seats at a preseason exhibition game and no one got to see what they were actually capable of.

Those who were in the stands got it.

Fair or not, the album wouldn't catch on, and Brad would eventually go back to his old band, and Derek would be an off and on again wingman for Ted Nugent. Still, there must have been an itch only the two of them together were able to scratch and in 2016 they put out Reunion, and as fate would have it, if you look for it on iTunes, their '81 release is there in its entirety as bonus tracks. Nice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the