Skip to main content

Don Felder - Airborne

Don Felder is a hell of a guitar player, and a passable singer when he stayed in his lane. By 1983 Mr. Henley and Mr. Frey were getting some traction with their solo careers, and Joe Walsh was doing his thing and seemed to be chugging along to his own little drummer (although things weren't as chipper as they appeared but that's another story, and one I frankly am not qualified to tell), so it seemed like it was Don's turn to try out a solo album. A couple years earlier Don Felder had provided the killer title track to the Heavy Metal soundtrack, and a year after that contributed "Never Surrender" to Fast Times at Ridgemont High and it was a decent song - I was eager to hear more from him.

In 1983 he released Airborne and I ate it up. I thought this was an awesome record. The album opens with "Bad Girls" which always felt a bit like a reworked "Life in the Fast Lane" but I didn't care - it's a song I still really like. Vocally, Don sounded really good, and wisely had a lot of backing vocals from the likes of Timothy B. Schmit, and Kenny Loggins to offset his limitations. 

Musically some of the songs felt like they could have been on The Long Run. This isn't a shot at Don at all, I really liked that album, and his contributions were great. Don even pulled out his talk box on a couple of tracks and throughout the album his guitar work was top shelf. He was also trying to craft a contemporary album, and his use of synclavier on a few of the songs I thought was really cool - and is also one of the things that dates the record.

I will admit that at the time I had hoped Joe Walsh would appear somewhere on the album and the two of them would tear it up, but that wasn't to be. However, Joe Vitale and George "Chocolate" Perry who were both on Joe Walsh's You Bought It, You Name It were on the album laying down bass and drums so that was cool.

There were some highlights on the album, particularly "Bad Girls" and the album's closer "Still Alive" a song I still think is a lost gem from the '80s. It was on a lot of my mix tapes for many years. I'm not sure what it is about this song but it just hits me in the feels. He included "Never Surrender" but didn't include "Heavy Metal" which would have been cool. It's not like there wasn't room as Airborne only had eight songs.

Most reviews are scathingly unkind to this one, and I suppose the whole style over substance argument has some merit, but honestly given where I was in 1983, and what pushed my musical buttons Don Felder somehow managed to hit more than he missed and even now when I listen to this I hear what I want to hear, and what I want to hear is Don Felder step front and centre and be the front man he always wanted to be.

To that end, Don is one hell of a guitar player.

I still love the album. Time. Place. Nostalgia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the