Skip to main content

Five for Fighting No.3 - ZZ Top, Patrick Juvet, Grand Funk Railroad, Chilliwack, Toto

Hey look at this, it's the last Sunday in April and I'm three months in and so far so good.  If I stop now I have a trilogy. However, I am really going for a decalogy, mainly to help wash the taste of L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth dekalogy (should have been spelled drek-alogy) that I actually read. ALL TEN BOOKS. 

This time around I've got four treasures I found for a buck, and a Toto album I've bought three times now. I'd never heard of Patrick Juvet before, and I'd not heard the Grand Fund Railroad album so it was fun being able to expose myself to new things. Yeah, I just wanted to say expose myself in a sentence. Sorry. Look, I'm not proud of myself, but I also accept the things I cannot change. Although the ability to proof read and edit are things I should work on.

 Five for Fighting No.3

  • ZZ Top - Afterburner (1985)
  • Patrick Juvet - Got a Feeling (1978)
  • Grand Funk Railroad - Survival (1971)
  • Chilliwack - Segue (1983)
  • Toto - Isolation (1984)

ZZ Top - Afterburner

ZZ Top - Afterburner (1983) This was always a weird one for me. Oh make no mistake I bought it when it came out, and I absolutely loved it. "Sleeping Bag" was a lot of fun, and heck their ballad "Rough Boy" was an interesting change of pace, and for me it worked. Other songs like "Velcro Fly" and "Planet or Women" were just awful. Okay maybe not awful, but they weren't great. Maybe they were supposed to be tongue in cheek offerings.

Listening to this now for the first time in a long, long time, the album suffered more than a little from self cannibalism. I know that staying in the blues lane often has a sameness to certain riffs, but there are songs here that just felt lifted  and repainted from Eliminator and Billy himself often seemed to repeat himself, and this surprised me as the man is a gifted player and knows his way around the guitar. I suppose if you just came off your most successful album ever, you'd try and capture lightning in a bottle twice. They didn't, but the album still sold 5,000,000 copies in the states and frankly for a failure that's a hell of a lot of albums. Still, this was good fun, and the little old band from Texas would keep on keeping on. But this was more or less the end of their commercial heyday. 

Patrick Juvet - Got a Feeling

Patrick Juvet - Got a Feeling (1978) You find things sometimes you just have to take a chance on. I had no idea what to expect here. Honestly I was hoping for cheesy hard rock, kind of like Thor and Keep the Dogs Away kind of stuff. I was pretty sure Patrick wasn't going to be blowing up any hot water bottles, but I certainly didn't think it would be falsetto disco. Yup, this poster boy for perfect hair, and the hairy chest that would make Gino Vannelli want to put on a shirt was not going to deliver me a stunning rock opus, he was going to make me wanna dance. Yeah, the leather jacket and ice skate threw me off. The bedazzled shirt on the back cover should have given it away. That and a closer inspection of the credits would have helped. Now in my defence I am not an expert on disco, but seeing Jacques Morali listed as producer, and a special thank you to Victor Willis are now pretty obvious giveaways as to the late '70s disco I was about to subject myself to. 

Lyrically this is pretty shallow even for disco. I mean the songwriting consists of taking the title of the song and repeating it over a disco track. The entire album is comprised of 4 sounds, one of them being the entire second side titled "I Love America"  which apparently was a disco hit - I'm guessing they made a radio edit or not. Why not just play a fourteen minute dance number? It's danceable enough.Still this isn't an album I'll likely play more than once. However if kitschy disco is your thing, you'd probably like this.

Grand Funk - Survival

Grand Fund Railroad - Survival (1971) Found this for a buck, just a jacket and the album - no insert or pictures. Still it cleaned up pretty well, but it had a pretty pronounced wobble that looked like it would bounce the needle - but it didn't. This was Grand Funk's fourth album since 1969 and was produced by Terry Knight who was also managing the band at this time. 

I have a couple of their earlier albums, and there are always some enjoyable moments but much of this early '70s type of jam rock didn't do much for me. Having said that their cover of "Feelin' Alright" was decent enough, but couldn't really hold a candle to Traffic's original version. The second side only had three songs one of which was a cover, this time the Stone's "Gimme Shelter" which again, while okay seems an odd choice, and not something I'm in a hurry to hear again. Maybe the guys were short of songs, and rather than wait for new material the band just needed to find something to record. They cranked out albums like sausages in the early '70s and if they needed filler they'd find filler. Oddly from what I've read the album released two singles and those were the covers. The song I really liked here was the seven minute opus "I Can Feel Him in the Morning" which was written by Brewer and Farner and is something I'm surprised I've not heard on classic rock radio.

Chilliwack - Segue

Chilliwack - Segue (1983) Bill Henderson is the one constant within Chilliwack, a band who all through my formative years would release one song after another that would quietly sink into my consciousness. While never a huge fan, I did like the songs on the radio and for a couple of years when the trio of Henderson, Brian "Too Loud" MacLeod and Ab Bryant were at the top of their game they scored their biggest hits, "I Believe" the earworm "My Girl" and "Whatcha GonnaDo" and then Ab and Brian would leave the band and work full time with Headpins. Bill would release one more album Look In Look Out and that would be the end of line as far as recording new material. Seque was one of the first retrospectives I had that worked the band's best songs chronologically from newest to oldest. I remember thinking as the album went on and closed out with "Raino" that this was an really great album. To the casual fan there are likely omissions, but to me it had it all. The hard rocking MacLeod era songs, to the iconic "Fly at Night" and "Arms of Mary" a song that took on a second life when I recently discovered the Sutherland Brothers. Still from 1969 to 1984 the band was a integral part of the Canadian music landscape. At the time I gad assumed that the segue would be a new chapter that was hinted at with the two songs from Look In Look Out, rather it was pointing to the end of the story. After all is there's no audience, there ain't no show. This album would be released again as Chilliwack's Greatest Hits. 

Toto - Isolation
Toto - Isolation (1984) After Toto IV blew the band wide open I could hardly wait for the next Toto album to drop. When Isolation's first single "Stranger in Town" hit it didn't really give an indication that big changes were afoot. With the departure of Bobby Kimball the band tapped former LeRoux vocalist Fergie Frederiksen to front the band. While some may disagree, this was still very much a Toto record, but it had more of a rock edge, and Fergie's voice was very different than Bobby's which to me was a smart move. From the opening track "Carmen" this was an album that pushed all of my happy buttons. Heck this is the line-up I saw live when they were out supporting the album. There isn't a bad banana in the bunch, and I still feel that this is a near perfect album. Steve's ballad "How Does it Feel" was amazing. "Endless" still makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and the orchestra break with the organ in "Change of Heart" just crushes me. This is a song best heard LOUD. The album closes with one of the best songs David Paich has ever done. Sorry "Africa" but "Holyana" is pop perfection. Sadly it would appear that I was in the minority with my gushing love for this album. After Toto IV went multi-platinum, four times in the US and twice in Canada, Isolation would just manage to go gold in America. As quickly as people had jumped on the bandwagon, they jumped off (I hope it hurt, ya bunch of fickle sillybutts). This would be Fergie's one and done. It's a shame as this truly was an exceptional album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the