Skip to main content

Harry Nilsson - Son of Schmilsson

Son of Schmilsson
Like a lot of casual fans, I'd heard of Harry Nilsson much like I'd heard of Ernest Hemingway. I knew the name more than anything he's actually written. Over the years I knew of a couple of songs, particularly the beautiful "Without You" and of course "Everybody's Talkin'" from Midnight Cowboy. He had also covered songs by others, most notably Nilsson Sings Newman and others would cover his songs, from the Monkees to Three Dog Night.

That was it.

As a result of this depth of knowledge (sarcasm alert) I had pigeon-holed him into the '70s pop singer slot where soft rock went to die.

six panel poster
One of the albums that was on my radar was Nilsson Schmilsson from late 1971. It was the album that had "Without You" and the truly odd "Coconuts" but as fate would have it the album I found in the dollar bin was his 1972 follow up released while his previous album was still on the charts. It was called Son of Schmilsson so it was probably like a sequel, right?

The vinyl looked like a 50 year old record after a decent bender. There were a couple of obvious dings that made me sad, even after a clean they were still nasty looking, but oddly they didn't produce a lot of noise and didn't skip. The cherry on top was the original liner was still intact, yeah I needed a little tape but it was a crease not a tear. The insert unfolded into a great six panel poster of Harry Nilsson in his vampire costume (score). The gatefold had some wear, but the inside pictures were were awesome. I wish they'd label them for those of us who need help with faces. I got a few, but not all.

I dropped the needle and sat down on the couch reading along from the lyric sheet ... the first song "Take 54" set the tone for the album. Harry belts out, "I sang my balls off for you baby." as he recounts his struggle to lay down a track without his girl at his side. I had to remind myself this was released in 1972 this was rather risque, and if I was expecting to hear sweet pretty piano laments I was listening to the wrong record. The third track "Joy" is probably the best country song you've never heard. For a weird little throw away song you'd think he'd save his best work for better songs, "Now - if you haven't got an answer / Then you haven't got a question/ and if you haven't got a question / then you'd never have a problem" it goes on to conclude if everyone was happy there'd never be a love song. 

Lyric insert
The closest we get to the piano love song, is the hauntingly beautiful "Remember (Christmas)" which shows off Harry's voice and Nicky Hopkins piano accompaniment. Of course in terms of love songs Harry wrote "You're Breakin' My Heart" where he gets George "Harrysong" Harrison to lay down slide guitar, while a young Peter Frampton lays down the guitar and the legend Red Rhodes played pedal steel. This is one of the best rock songs on the albums, and when Harry sings, 

You're breakin' my heart
You're Tearing it apart
So Fuck You

You feel it. I'm pretty sure at this point those expecting this record to be the sequel to Nilsson Schmilsson were feeling pretty unhappy and wondering where the pretty love songs were.

For an album where Harry seemed to be exercising his artistic muscles and doing what he wanted he was still crafting wonderful pop songs while burping and gargling and getting a group of senior citizens to sing:

I'd rather be dead - I'd rather be dead
I said dead that wet my bed

... and you know that after fifty years they're all dead now.

Gatefold
The album was recorded at Trident Studios in London and was produced by Richard Perry, who had produced Harry's previous album Nilsson Schmilsson, and I'm going to guess that it was a chore trying to keep this one from flying off into a million directions. 

Reading through the credits Harry assembled the best of the best to provide the soundscape. From George Harrison, who appeared on the wicked "You're Breakin' My Heart" to Ringo Starr (credited as Richie Snare) who played drums on several tracks. Peter Frampton is on the majority of the tracks. Sometimes he gets to lead, more often he's supporting the tracks. Nicky Hopkins who also played on several Rolling Stones records (among others) played piano on many of the songs. 

The last two verses from "The Most Beautiful World in the World"  are as poignant as they are cheeky, 

So when you get older
and over your shoulder
you look back to see
if it's real

Tell her she's beautiful
roll the world over
and give her a kiss
and a feel

back cover
To say this was a surprise to me is an understatement. I don't know what I was expecting, and maybe I was just in a really receptive mood - who knows, but for me to be enthralled with an album that came out when I was nine years old, is kind of awesome. It also lends new depth to the songs I already knew.

After all it was Hemingway who once wrote, "When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead." 

Sadly Harry Nilsson passed away at the age of 52 which is far too young.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the