Skip to main content

Streets - 1st

Streets
After leaving Kansas, Steve Walsh formed the band Streets. The band was comprised of ace fretman Mike Slamer, bassist Billy Greer, and drummer Tim Gehrt. Their debut album, 1st was released in October 1983, a few months after his former band Kansas dropped Drastic Measures. Coincidentally, Neil Kernon engineered and produced both albums.

Whereas the Kansas album felt dark and murky, 1st was bright and crackling - not brittle, but everything felt forward in the mix. Much of the energy came from Mike Slamer's guitar work, which was pretty awesome. Musically, this is much more early '80s rock than I expected. If Steve wanted to shed the progressive baggage he'd packed with Kansas, Streets was a solid run at commercial rock - even if the near six-minute rocker "Lonely Woman's Cry" flirts with some prog elements, it's a rock song at its core.

Here's the thing, I had no idea this album even existed back in '83. It would literally be a couple of decades before I'd find this one and the follow-up Crimes in Mind from 1985. I think it was shortly after picking up Steve's solo album Glossolalia back in 2000 that I was blown away by Mike Slamer. After that that I made an effort to find the earlier albums.

Streets - Credits
I wasn't disappointed - okay, I was disappointed that I hadn't found this when it came out. I know it would have spent a lot of time on my turntable. Is it really that good? Man, that's a hard call to make as I really enjoy it, and Steve Walsh was still in fine voice and seemed to relish working in a band structure. Just about half the songs on the album were written with the band, which is pretty cool. The album's closer "Fire" is pure '80s rock. Yeah, back when I said Steve had shed his Kansas baggage - I take it back. This song was awesome with all the pomp and grandeur you'd want with Steve's voice soaring and snarling like a man with something to prove.

This was still just hard rock, and the heady days of what would devolve (evolve?) into the hair band era was still a few years out. So when I hear this now, I have some trouble weeding out the noise and everything that came after that makes this sound more generic than it really was.

So, back to my initial question, is it good?

Streets - Back Cover
Yes, it's good. Really good - but too much time had elapsed by the time I got this, so I play it and enjoy it - a lot. Sadly, rather than sink into my musical DNA like other albums from that time, when I listen now it's mixed with equal parts admiration and nostalgia. I've played it many times over the years, and a few times now as I reacquainted myself with the songs writing this little blurb, but it'll only ever be a good album I found.

Shortly after the band's second album Streets would come to a dead end and Steve and Billy would join a revamped Kansas.

Now, for shits and giggles, I made a playlist alternating the songs from "Drastic Measures" and "1st" and boy howdy, what would have been a hell of a double album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the