Skip to main content

The Fixx - Walkabout

Fixx - Walkabout

By 1986, The Fixx had been on a creative run that would be the envy of a lot of bands. Like a lot of people, I jumped on the bandwagon when the band released what is arguably their most well-known album, Reach the Beach. This was just a starting point, and in short order I had gone and picked up their debut, and then kept up with the band through 1991's Ink. The best song the band ever did was the long version of "Deeper and Deeper," and while it was available on the Streets of Fire soundtrack, it was a much shorter and far less satisfying version. It should have been on Phantoms in its entirety - sigh.

By the time Walkabout came out, the musical landscape was all over the place. It truly was the best of times; the sheer number of classic songs and albums from this year is sort of mind-boggling. It's against this backdrop that The Fixx joined the fray. I remember the first time I heard "Secret Separation" and was totally blown away. It was, and still is, amazing. If there's a better two-chord song out there, let me know.

The first side just pumped out one great track after another. This was a band at the top of their game, and none of the songs felt contrived or half-baked. There was a maturity and confidence that just seemed to permeate the tracks. The first three in particular are songs I had all over my mix tapes back in '86.

insert and cover
Side two was always the side I didn't play as often. Cut me some slack - those records didn't turn themselves over. The groove on "One Look Up" is vintage Fixx, and the ability to play around the notes was something the band were masters at. I was struck by the straightforward piano ballad "Read Between the Lines," which I didn't really remember, but as the band joins in and adds colour, it's a wonderful piece of music. It's an album cut to be sure, but one that certainly captures the mood of the album and seems like a song to allow the band to catch their breath.

When they do, they unleash "Sense of Adventure," a song that actually surprised me with its vitriol. I know that Cy would often have a lot to say, but honestly, most of the time I would listen without hearing—kind of like an idiot version of Sherlock Holmes.

This time, though, I actually stopped and listened to what he was saying. The song takes aim at religious certainty and the idea that having an answer means everyone else should accept it. It made me wonder who the unfortunate soul was who knocked on his door trying to proselytize about their belief in their one true path to salvation.

Not just because you have your answers
It should not mean my views are seen in vain
An earthly bid for resurrection
Will never soothe the human pain

It had been a while since I'd listened to this in a sitting. Walkabout was better than I remember it being. I always liked it, but that was due to the first three songs. Now, though, I realize there are no weak songs here. There are a few standouts, but the rest are far from filler. They really did touch my heart so deeply.

back cover

As with all of the band's output to date, Rupert Hine sat in the producer's chair, and Walkabout was recorded at the legendary Farmyard Studios in England.

The '80s belonged to The Fixx, and the band released five albums, not including the mandatory Best of compilations (where the long version of "Deeper and Deeper" can be found). It was a decade they were architects in creating the soundscape others would emulate (Eight Seconds, anyone?), and of course being so closely associated with a particular time and place has a downside.

The band would continue to sporadically release new material, although to be honest, I haven't kept up. I did, however, pick up their new release Every Five Seconds (2022), which was a pleasant surprise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...