Skip to main content

Wings - London Town

Wings - London Town
1978 was a pivotal year for me as a kid. The sheer number of watershed albums that were released that year is actually kind of astounding. When I found London Town in the dollar bin, complete with the original poster, I couldn't actually remember when it came out, but I figured it would be a decent listen. After all, it had at least one memorable song on it, even if I thought it was cheese when it was on the radio. Then to be fair, an awful lot of what Paul released with Wings in the'70s was questionable, even if it was catchy.

Yeah, you probably know this was released in 1978, but I didn't. You probably also know that the biggest omission here is "Mull of Kintyre" which was recorded during the same period London Town was being put together. I know bands released non album singles, but it was really irritating when you bought the current album and a big song was absent. The album really needed another good song. It boggles my mind that the folks in charge were sitting around and saying, "You know Paul, I think we should leave the biggest selling single in UK history off your next album, it'll just be a distraction. Could you add a song about, oh, groupies instead?" To which Paul likely took a puff, held his breath for a few seconds before exhaling, and agreed saying he had such a song in mind and this would be perfect time to finish it for the record.

Wings - and then there were three
Wings were an always an odd band, as it was always just thought of as Paul's band anyway and in later years the band's catalogue just more or less seemed to be rebranded as Paul McCartney solo albums. Which may seem unfair, but I can see why this happened. By this time Wings was back to being Paul, Linda and Denny Laine. Now I don't want to shit on Linda's contributions, but she always seemed a little out of place. At least Paul did his audience the great service of not alternating songs with his wife.

Denny Laine was another kettle of fish altogether, and frankly the songs he and Paul co-wrote are probably the best songs on the album, and Denny's turn behind the microphone on "Deliver Your Children" is one of the highlights on the album, if not the best song on it.

My first impression after a spin is that London Town suffers from a serious case of "meh" and is frankly a rather uninspired effort - and I am really trying hard to be positive here. It's not really good, nor is it that bad - it's just a nothing album. Not to say that there aren't the occasional glimmers of energy. Like "With a Little Luck" and a couple of other songs but mostly there's nothing that sinks in (trying to stay with the nautical theme).

Addendum (After a couple of more trips through the grooves): Yeah, this one just felt half done. I can't really change my initial reaction, but I was hanging out in the basement doing some general housekeeping and figured I'd just give this another spin or two and see if I was just being pissy or if I missed the boat (sorry, once I get going with the bad puns and references it's hard to stop). 

I will say that I did enjoy the album more with repeated listens and I especially enjoyed the McCartney / Laine collaborations starting with the title track. Now I know I was bitching about how the band left off one of their best songs ever in "Mull of Kintyre" but it's not like the album already had fourteen songs, and I suspect the band (Paul) figured there wasn't any room for any extra passengers.

Maybe, but it would have put this over the top.

Considering how many bands were killing it in 1978 and blazing new trails, London Town just plays it safe and sails right down the middle. If it wasn't Paul McCartney behind Wings I wonder if this would even have seen the light of day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the