Skip to main content

Zager and Evans - 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)

Zager and Evans
This was an interesting score. A Canadian first pressing of the Zager and Evans classic 2525 (Exordium & Terminus). Finding albums like this for a buck always seems like a surreal score. The vinyl was is passable shape with some expected wear, but nothing too visible. It did though clean up remarkably well, and then while I was putting it into the sleeve I dropped it on the floor. 

Putting the record on there's something undeniably appealing about "In the Year 2525" that seemed to sum up all of trepidation people were feeling about the future and the headlong charge to oblivion through the wanton pursuit of technology. Or something, it's a lot to take in for my little brain. It's always been a weird and goofy song that managed to go number one all over the world. Heck, even the official science fiction nerds who ran the Hugo Awards nominated it for some type of special award - although it's not clear if they won or not but it's an interesting bit of trivia.

Ted Daryll
Reading the back cover, Ted Daryll who produced the album seemed convinced that Zager and Evans were on to something special and had something to say. Heck he even made a backhanded reference to Robert Heinlein's Door into Summer when he wrote, "From out of Nebraska, Denny and Rick have emerged with one of the hottest records of '69 and with it a fresh approach to the conscience and heard of the listener. Much like "2525" which opened a sober door to the future, the boys are into more thought-provoking analyses in this their first album." Okay maybe door into the future and the door into summer is a stretch, but the point was it really seemed like a lot of people really thought this was just the start of something for the two lads from Nebraska. It wasn't. 1971's Food for the Mind would mark the end of the band's recorded output, and like their previous releases it too would fail to chart or yield any singles.

Listening to 2525 with the benefit of hindsight the era of the folk rock was coming to an end. Even Peter Paul and Mary wouldn't make it into the '70s. To borrow from Dylan, "For the times they are a-changin’" 

back cover
However, as a time capsule this really is a pretty solid album, and of course the hit overshadows the rest of the album, but that doesn't mean the rest are relegated to being filler.  If anything, many of the songs are underdeveloped. "Woman" doesn't even break two minutes and had the makings of a really good song but just finished as it was getting going. The entire album is under half an hour, and if as Ted Daryll is to be believed and Zager and Evans had something to say - it's too bad they didn't take the opportunity to say more while they had their chance.

In the end Zager and Evans would be filed away with the other one hit wonders, but if you are able to find the album don't dismiss it too quickly, it's worth a listen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the