Skip to main content

Hothouse Flowers - People

Hothouse Flowers - blury photo as art
Back in 1988 my old roommate Otto came home one day with a CD by Hothouse Flowers. I don't know where he heard or read about them, but he said it was supposed to be pretty good. 

The first two songs were absolutely killer tracks. "I'm Sorry" and "Don't Go." Truly killer tracks. For 1988 this was quite different than most of what I was listening to. The '80s wave had crested and it was full on big hair, tight pants and gang vocal choruses ... this was organic.

I also cannot remember anything aside from the first two songs. I hesitate to say they were filler, but I have zero recollection of anything else.

Then for father's day the kid's allowed me to spend a $100 bucks on records, and I found this one - and was pretty stoked. I got a nice pile of stuff that ran the gamut from Linda Ronstadt to Sandford and Townsend (never heard of them but it was sealed and looked like fun.). This was the album I was most excited to hear again ... I was very tempted to start on the third track as the side one opens with the two songs I was most familiar with.

I didn't.

inner sleeve
Man, those first two cuts are just brilliant. As the album moved into the deeper cuts the energy didn't subside, the band easily blending traditional elements with a sprinkling of gospel and gold old fashioned rock and roll energy. The first side closes out with "If You Go" a song I'd forgotten but as it unfolded I was transported back in time, and was transfixed. I remembered being moved by this song, and was flabbergasted (come on, how much fun is that word? I may try to squeeze in flummoxed somewhere ... be forewarned) that it wasn't more ingrained in my memory.

The second side opens with "The Older We Get" another soaring mid tempo song that gradually builds in energy and then dials in back and quietly ends. As the songs played through the second side I was able to capture the essence of why the album as a whole didn't stick with me back then. It had nothing to do with the album as much as it did with how I am able to process. It's like that cutting line from "Into The Great Wide Open" by Petty, "Their A&R man said, 'I don't hear a single.'" I am drawn to shiny things , whether I want to or not, when I listen to an album I'm subconsciously looking for something to stand out, something to wow my senses. On People the band opened with a one two combination that quite literally (figuratively, I'm just being dramatic) knocked me off my feet.

The reality is those two songs created momentum that propelled me through the album, but that initial push was so memorable it overshadowed the rest. However, listening to this now, I mean really listening ... this is really quite extraordinary and the level of maturity in the songwriting belies the age of the performers. I only say that because the guys in the band are maybe a year or two younger than me, and back then I fancied myself as a musician of sorts, but really I was creating refrigerator art ... this was art.

band credits
This an album that needs to be played as piece, as it is a journey. The songs have also aged incredibly well and the crisp production and instrumentation is organic and feels as fresh now as it did them.

The band was built around vocalist and keyboard player Liam O Maonlaí and guitarist Fiachna O Braonain. Peter O'Toole played bass and guitar, and Jerry Fehily was on drums. Leo Barnes played the sax.

For me this was really my only exposure to the band until I found a copy of The Platinum Collection (released in 2006), but I honestly didn't spent a lot of time letting that one sink in. I just wanted that one two punch. 

back cover
Sitting here by myself with the lyrics on my lap and a cup of coffee in front of me, the music is cranked a little louder than normal because I'm the only one home at the moment. There's something about catching up with an old friend that is so comforting.

Oh if you go I hope you get there
If you get there I hope you like it.

from "If You Go"

It took me a while, but I got there. 

I liked it.

To my kids,thank you this was a perfect Father's Day gift.

The older we get the further we see
The more we mean to each other
The more you mean to me

from "The Older We Get"

If you've been waiting for me to use flummoxed ... I'm sorry ... Don't go.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the