Skip to main content

Pretty Green - Pretty Green

Pretty Green
I found a seal copy of Pretty Green, and was intrigued. It was on Nettwerk the one time indie darling label out of Vancouver who helped bring Grapes of Wrath, Sarah McLachlan and Barenaked Ladies to the rest of the world. Okay two out of three, but those early Grapes of Wrath records were pretty awesome.

So here was an album that was essentially new, but likely poorly stored who knows where as the jacket is nicely wobbled even if in immaculate shape (it's a conundrum) but the record itself was in pristine shape. I had no idea what to expect, and I was kind of surprised at the lack of information out there on this one. Which was pretty much nothing. Even Nettwork doesn't list this anywhere on their site. It's like it never happened.

But it did.

I'm om my second pass now, and this is really something. Especially as this was 1987 and here was a band doing alternative folk rock where the banjo and dobro were front and centre. Ed Blocki the band's vocalist and multi-instrumentalist had a voice that was pretty unique. The first track "Kick the Bike" was kind of jarring the first time through, and it took me a couple of plays through to sink in. It's like Mike Scott from The Waterboys and Bob Dylan were mushed together and this is what hot squeezed out. Heck Michael David Rosenberg, better known as Passenger, who was only a toddler when this album came out sounds like Ed ... so who knows who's imitating whom. 

This is not a shot, it totally works. The more I listen, the better it gets.

If there wasn't a date on the album you could pass this off as a new alternative release. 

Again, not a shot.

credits
As much as music has changed it's hasn't changed at all ... not really. If you use traditional instruments and record them so they sound crisp and clean they don't really age. Oh sure there will be musical artifacts that will tie things to a time and place, but honestly I don't have a place and time to associate this with. I'm sitting here listening to the album as a new release. Considering how many bands from Fleet Foxes to The Lumineers and even those early Mumford albums all mined the folk rock vein that Pretty Green was tapping into all those years ago.

I've played this through a couple of times now and each time I get a little more texture, and find more to appreciate. There are no duds at all on the album. I am particularly taken with the interplay between Don Fraser's dobo playing and Chris Stevens' banjo on many of the songs but man the dobro work is just stellar. Drummer Peter Bourne, who is also credited with tambourine (which just goes to show it's harder to play than you think) is right in the pocket throughout. Nothing is overplayed it's just what the songs needed.

I hesitate to pull out my favourites, but I will say there's something really cool about "This House if Leaking" mainly because of the cello work of Anne Bourne. Who may or may not be related to Peter, that's the fun you can have with credits (I got a nice note back from Peter when I dropped him a message about the album and apparently Anne is his sister).

back cover
Did I mention that the album sounds great? This is no doubt due to Greg Reely, the longtime Nettwork resident engineer, mixer and studio wizard. Much like Bob Rock at Little Mountain was a fixture of many of the the albums recorded there, Greg was the guy Nettwerk used as their secret sauce.

Everything here is centred on Ed's songs and  I'm feeling like I've just discovered a great little secret, and there's no one to share this with. Which makes me sad. While there not be a lot of information out there on the band, it is on iTunes and Spotify.  

Do yourself a favour if you read this, have a listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the