Skip to main content

Rick Derringer - All American Boy

Rick Derringer
As a kid "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" was everything a rock and roll song needed to be. It was big, it was infectious and it was awesome, it had a lot of guitar. For many years this was all I needed to know about Rick Derringer. Then in the '80s I started seeing his name show up in weird places. Most notably "Weird" Al records.

Of course being a wrestling fan back in the day when the curtain hadn't been pulled back to reveal the true nature of the business, I watched in awe as Hulk Hogan entered the ring to Rick Derringer's "Real American" and I knew this was Rick Derringer because they were schilling Rocking Wrestling, or The Wrestling Album, I don't know what it was called, and looking it up mid sentence just seems like a lot of effort. I did know that Rick was involved and I found that weird, and cool at the same time.

Recently as I've been diving into a lot of records Rick's name kept popping up all over the place, from Bonnie Tyler, to Air Supply, and heck even the wonder geeks of impossible pop Steely Dan employed Mister Derringer for his prowess. I also figured out "Hang on Sloopy" by The McCoys  featured a young Rick Zehringer, which was kind of cool, although I had known that for a while, but it didn't stick.

All of this added to the mystique of Rick Derringer, and his debut album All American Boy was starting to look like a glaring omission in my collection. My friend, and uber music geek and a hell of a guitar player claimed this was one of the best albums to come out of the '70s. So I finally got this about a year ago, before I found my copies of Edgar Winter's live album Roadwork with an early version of "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" that was okay, but had very little of the magic Rick would capture on his debut solo release. The version recorded for All American Boy is undeniably on of the greatest rock and roll songs ever recorded. Full stop.

inside cover
It's interesting that as confident a producer Rick was with others, he enlisted the help of Bill Szymcyk to help him with his debut. The second cut "Joyride" is an instrumental that serves as an extended introduction to  "Teenage Queen" a song that would have been at home on Joe Walsh's The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get (also released in 1973) that was also produced by Mr. Szymczyk. "Teenage Queen" just happen to feature Joe Walsh on guitar. It's a really good song, and along with "Cheap Tequila" Rick was taking a page out of the early country-rock playbook before stepping back into his rock shoes with "Uncomplicated"  that again featured Joe Walsh, as well as Joe Vitale on drums, and Kenny Passarelli on bass. It's another really solid song, and frankly the only song on side one that really didn't click was the ballad "Hold" that was co-written by Patti Smith and featured Edgar Winter on piano. It's not a bad song, and honestly for 1973 this kind of R&B and soul infused music would become more prevalent as the '70s wore on. Maybe he was a bit ahead of the curve - or not. Hard to tell with an album that's now fifty years old.

Flipping the album over, Rick picks up where he left off with "The Airport Giveth (The Airport Taketh Away)" another slow song with Edgar Winter on piano, lamenting the life of a musician on the road. Although the best line is probably:

She watched me while I played
I watched the girls down in front

Okay, it certainly seems like I'm just jotting down notes as the songs pop up. "Teenage Love Affair" is good fun, somewhat generic '70s rock but I have to admit it's got a catchy hook. It's one of the many songs where Rick plays all the instruments except the drums. Those are handled by Bobby Caldwell who handles most of the groove throughout the album. It's followed by a quirky chromatic harmonica song that is okay, and frankly just adds to the range of styles Rick is playing with throughout the album, but it isn't a song I particularly liked. "Time Warp" is another instrumental song that benefits from a little extra organ goodness courtesy of Edgar Winter. Unfortunately "Slide on Over Slinky" is a song that doesn't work for me at all. I have nothing against a little bit o' sleeze but it just felt forced and boring. The album's closer "Jump. Jump. Jump" again features Edgar on keyboards, and the song features some stellar fret work, and the music is equal parts haunting and strangely joyous. The subject matter is downright dark:

I'm thinking ... of jumping off a bridge
Life has got me down
Can't think of one reason to live
I'll probably down

I wonder ... is anybody here
Or is this my private dream
It's time I pinched myself to see
It's such a scary, scary, scary - dream

This song is one I wasn't sure I cared for, but was drawn to. It's hard to think of this being from 1973, there's a timelessness to the arrangement, and the song is so crisp and the guitar playing to immediate it's night and day to the opening track. I'm assuming Edgar also played saxophone but he's not credited. Probably a simple omission.

back cover
This is a really great record, and the sheer depth and variety of music presented here is pretty cool. I'm still blown away by "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" but there are so many songs here that are worth hearing. Yeah, a couple of duds too, but in the context of the record it's okay. I'm also a really taken with the album's packaging too. I loved how the back cover was the lyrics and credits rolled into one. It makes for a great listening experience to  being able to read along, and see who played on the various tracks. I also thought the gatefold was cool and the poster of Rick wearing the silver gloves was very glam

I've read more than one review that calls this one of the '70s lost gems, and that may be true to an extent but those that know - know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the