Skip to main content

Tine Turner - Private Dancer

Tina Turner - Private Dancer

This was mostly written and in my queue to post when I found out that Tina Turner passed away May 24, 2023. She was 83. Hard to imagine that almost forty years had passed since Private Dancer was released.

It's always fun to revisit albums that you thought you disliked. I suppose the backlash was inevitable as "What's Love Got to Do With It" was pretty ubiquitous on MuchMusic and the radio for what seemed to be forever. I managed to keep up my dismissive airs for a long time, and even though I really liked "Better Be Good to Me" featuring the stellar guitar work of The Fixx's Jamie West-Orem and backing vocals of Cy Curnin. I stubbornly held my ground. 

It didn't help that everyone was trying to make a then ancient in pop years Tina Turner who was all of forty five or six when this came out a sex symbol. "Look at those legs!"  This was right up there with trying to ogle the church organist. I'm looking through the album jacket and liner notes I have to admit she looked pretty good, but more importantly she sounded awesome. I have never cared for any of the Ike and Tina songs I've heard, and I'm not much of an R&B fan so it's not so much a dig as it really just wasn't my thing. At all.

So I'd packed my prejudices pretty tight. The first break in my resolve occurred when I picked up Foreign Affair a few years later when I found it cheap, and it had "The Best" on it, a song I sort of liked. Did I mention it was cheap? While I honestly can't off the top of my head name any other songs off it at the moment, I did like it.

insert
However, Tina had a set of pipes and by all accounts A&R guru John Carter, known as CARTER when wearing his producer's hat was instrumental in relaunching and rebranding Tina Turner. Private Dancer was her first album on Capitol after a near five year gap between releases. The team assembled here is all A list: 

  • Rupert Hine who was riding a decent wave through the '80s producing artists as varied as SAGA, Chris de Burgh, Eight Seconds, and The Fixx.
  • Terry Britten who was behind some of Cliff Richard's best known songs in the '70s.
  • CARTER who was behind Bob Welch's French Kiss, and the last two disappointing PRISM records produced the title track.

For an album that was seemingly assembled together from a pastiche of various sessions and writers it is a surprisingly cohesive effort. Listening to this now the only song that didn't click with me was the Al Green "Let's Stay Together" and that's just because it's not in my wheelhouse. 

That said, the number of killer tracks is surprising, and finding out that the kings of Glam Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman wrote my favourite song on the album "Better Be Good to Me" was just icing on the cake. I was surprised I didn't enjoy David Bowie's "1984" more than I did - it wasn't for lack of trying, but it just didn't click at all. Everything in '84 was under George Orwell's shadow. I guess going for the cultural heartbeat was cutting edge at the time, now it's just - meh. Maybe it was just bad luck the two songs I don't care for were produced by Martin Ware and Greg Walsh. 

back cover
"Private Dancer" was a song that grew on me, and I knew it was written by Mark Knopfler, and I always assumed he played on the song. Nope. Most of the guys in Dire Straits were there, and on the other CARTER produced track "Steel Claw" and on those two songs it was Jeff Beck who played the guitar solos.

The album has held up remarkably well, and I will listen to the Terry Britten produced "What's Love Got to Do With It" and admit that is one hell of a song, and it rightly launched Tina Turner's comeback. 

She was one of a kind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the