Skip to main content

Ultravox - Lament

Ultravox - Lament

I remember driving home during rush hour when all of a sudden this song came on the radio, and it just blew my mind. Thankfully the disc jockey had the good manners to identify the band and the song.

"That was 'Dancing with Tears in My Eyes' by Ultravox."

Thank you, I said to myself, and filed it away as something I needed to remember.

Good lord that was a good song. I particularly loved the guitar work with the dive bombs and string growls interwoven with the very prominent keyboards. As enamoured as I was, I never did get the record. In the mid '90s I picked up their best of collection The Voice: The Best of Ultravox and boy howdy that had the bits and pieces I had heard over the years.

Of course, as fate would have it I'd start consuming vinyl again, admittedly at a rather shocking rate. I'm still adhering, for the most part, to my don't buy what you already have rule. Rules are meant to be broken and there are exceptions of course, but the reverse has happened more than a few times now where I've found records I really like that I do not have on CD, and dang it if I've not gone to iTunes and bought them. I suppose I should just get in step with the kids and get Spotify and have the entire world at my fingertips.

Nah.

This is more fun.

Nowadays Ultravox is probably best remembered as the band Midge Ure was in back in the '80s. He was also the guy who co-wrote "Do They Know It's Christmas" and along with Bob Geldof organized Live Aid, and also Live 8. Bob would be named Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE) and Midge would be remembered as the guy who once toured with Thin Lizzy as a lead guitar player when Gary Moore had a hissy fit and left the band mid tour back in 1979 before he joined Ultravox.

Seems fair.

I also honestly have no idea if this irked Mister Ure or not. Besides, this isn't about slagging Bob Geldof (Sir, Bob), he earned his stripes, and for crying out loud is an honorary Canadian having lived in Vancouver and was the music editor of the infamous Georgia Straight back in the '70s. I just wish it didn't take until after the Live 8 concert in 2005 for Mr. Ure's efforts to be recognized when he finally received his Order of the British Empire (OBE).

But, holy bananas he played lead guitar in Thin Lizzy!

Then, he joined Ultravox.

Ultravox had been around for a while, but when Midge joined the band they entered their golden (amber) age. Each member was an integral part of the band's sound, and the songs were credited to the entire band. I found vinyl copies of the book ends from the classic line-up, first with 1980's Vienna, and closing out with 1984's Lament.

  • Warren Cann – drums, electronic percussion, backing vocals
  • Chris Cross – bass, synthesizer, backing vocals
  • Billy Currie – keyboards, violin
  • Midge Ure – guitar, lead vocals

back cover

This was a band who helped define the '80s and for better or worse would remain there, trapped in amber. The songs on Lament are all mini time capsules and while I have my favourites I've been really impressed with the entire album. Their blend of electronic and actual instruments is, to me, the perfect blend that helps to ensure a level of longevity you don't get with things that appear cutting edge one moment and laughable the next. It's hard to define just how much influence they must have had on a whole crop of young acts coming out of Europe. I don't know if they ever caught on in the US, but they were a bona fide big deal to a lot of people.

I think the funniest thing I read about Lament was relayed by Midge when he said the band discussed just having a plain black cover. It would create a sense of mystery and people would wonder what was this strange black album? Then Spinal Tap did their reference to Smell the Glove, with their all black cover ... good thing they didn't, that would have been, lamentable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...