Skip to main content

Village People - Cruisin'

Village People
1978 it was a fantastic year for music. I mean well and truly. Nugent, Styx, PRISM, and Toto, it's a long list ... Then there was disco, and it was the universe's way of saying you can't have everything. If you're wondering I never considered "Heart of Glass" by Blondie, or "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' the Tears to be disco songs.

It's times like these a really good quote is in order, and Dickens being Dickens wrote a dickens that's perfect for a piece like this:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil ...

It's like record labels and producers knew disco wasn't going to last, and the Village People were cranking out albums at an alarming rate trying to take advantage of the trend while it was hot ... after all, who still buys pet rocks? Cruisin' was their second album to drop in 1978 and although only one single was released ... it would change everything. "Y.M.C.A." was the very definition of the term earworm. I may not have been all that enthusiastic about singing along with "Macho Man" but this, this was different ... and it had actions. I'll admit that over the years I've actually grown quite fond of this song.

I never thought I'd buy anything by Village People, or actually succumb to buying an honest to goodness disco record. I'd rather poke myself in the ear with a pair of scissors. Fifteen year old me is very disappointed in this latest turn of events as I will often pick up albums by artists who should not be named, let alone played and talked about in sophisticated (don't worry I don't have any sophisticated friends so it's not really a problem) company - but the truth is this isn't my first disco record. The first disco record I unintentionally bought was by Patrick Juvet. It was one of those dollar finds that could have been anything ... but it wasn't, it was disco. It was an album produced by Jacques Morali and Henri Belolo and the songs were co-written with Victor Willis ... yeah, knowing what I know now that was a huge giveaway. Juvet's album came out in the spring of '78, and Village People would unleash Cruisin' in September of that same year. Like I said, the albums just kept a comin'.

When I first saw Cruisin' in the dollar bin, I just chuckled and kept flipping. Then I went back to it, and checked out the songs on the album. "Ooh, it had 'Y.M.C.A.' Come on, it'll be fun." I said to myself. What was the harm, the album won't turn you gay, you're acting like a homophonic fifteen year old from 1978 ... music isn't like some weird gateway drug. If it was, those Carpenter songs I liked as a kid should have been the slippery sloped to an appreciation for Swedish Death Metal ... Alice Cooper doesn't count.

I paid a dollar, and bought the album.

I left my scissors in the drawer, and ignored fifteen year old self and cleaned the album and put it on the turntable. Oh he was put out, and used a few bad words I shall not repeat here. A lot of what I heard was followed by idiot. Nothing I haven't heard before.

credits
The first side starts off with "Y.M.C.A." and I'll admit I was tapping my feet. No, I didn't do the actions, as I was typing, however, the little devil and angel on my shoulders were having a pretty good time, although my little angel kept getting his Y and C out of order, which just goes to show that disco truly was the devil's music. The rest of side one is taken up with a  confusing medley, "The Women" and "I'm a Cruiser" the latter a not so subtle double entendre about, well cruisin', which was also the title of the album.

Side two opens with "Hot Cop" a song I'm not really delving into for any real lyrical meaning. I mean, it's no more complicated than singing "Hot Cop" and to drive the point home, Victor Willis was dressed like a cop ... the inference was kind of in your face. My goodness, it's a long song too, clocking in at over six minutes. I suppose if you were out there dancing, longer was better - sitting here I'm just feeling bad for the drummer Russell Dabney. I mean this is a friggin' stamina test.

Next song, same beat, ... and we have "My Roomate" which is well over five minutes of disco magic about a dancing roomate (that's how they spell it on the cover) who takes his buddies clothes and goes dancing, and when he's home plays music really loud and won't let his roomate sleep. Yeah, I'm just waiting for it to end. Closing out the album is another test in endurance. "Ups and Downs" is full of horns, and little synthesizer "pew pew pew" noises and a lot big gang vocals. I'm just kind of glad it wasn't called "In and Outs" considering the constant innuendo throughout the album I don't think it would have been to far out of bounds. Except that hidden in this very upbeat song is a really dark lyrics about addiction, and frankly it's not something I expected to hear in a Village People album.

All in all, this was an endurance test - that was just over half and hour, but felt longer but went by quicker than I thought. I have to admit I played the album over and over again. It was more fun that I had expected, and honestly it still sounds pretty great from a mix perspective. As to the big song, "Y.M.C.A."  that song is still bloody catchy. I still want to take a massive dump on disco as a genre, but sometimes you have to allow for exceptions. So this gets a pass. Heck I may as well pull out that Osmonds collection I found a while back that I've been resisting ...

Author's note: I've just finished listening to this again, while I tried to edit and try and make this entry make some sense. Results as they say may vary. If you're still here thank you for your service.

Although I was just a teenage when this came out, it's hard to discount the impact Village People had on society. I mean they weren't great for music (disco dis) but they likely helped move the needle in terms of social justice and acceptance. Considering this was still the late '70s and being gay was still outrageous, many were closeted and that was just how it was. I mean, looking back on my own mind set and behaviour and how casually I'd throw around derogatory slurs and comments like they were nothing is shameful to look back on. Here were a bunch of guys unabashedly owning their identities and even having a ball playing dress up even going so far as to call their third album Cruisin'

back cover
Yeah, I may not have liked disco, but these guys and their silly costumes and music helped change the world.

Disco still sucks, but I'll still sing along and do the actions to "Y.M.C.A." even if I can't get the letters in the right order.

This was the classic line up, 

Policeman: Victor Willis – lead vocals and lyricist
Cowboy: Randy Jones – vocals
Construction worker: David "Scar" Hodo – vocals
Indian: Felipe Rose – vocals and foot bells
Leather Man: Glenn M. Hughes – vocals
The GI:Alexander Briley – vocals


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the