Skip to main content

Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat

Cat Stevens
This is an album I have never heard. Oh I know a few songs from Teaser and the Firecat, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I wasn't even a tween when this dropped, but I remember being moved by "Morning Has Broken" and I found it weird the first time we sang it in church. I had no point of reference to associate a song I liked on the radio with a song a bunch of old people were singing in unison at church. So I just did what kids do, I accepted it and moved on. Then a couple years later Sister Janet Mead score big with "The Lord's Prayer" bringing into vogue for about ten minutes the singing nun armed with a classical guitar. It was a thing. Just watch the movie Airplane, it was still reverberating a few years later. It was perplexing but I just took it in stride. I wasn't phased when Jesus Christ Superstar made Jesus mainstream. Like a young Larry Norman sang, "This time last year, people didn't wanna hear. They looked at Jesus from afar, this year he's a superstar." Although to be fair to Mr. Norman and his 1972 classic, it would be about a decade before I'd hear"Reader's Digest" so it wasn't really something I was aware back then. It's a great song though and sort of help to encapsulate the decade so I've fitted it into my point of view, albeit retroactively.

I've spun the album a few times now, and my dollar was really well spent, and the vinyl was remarkably clean, although most of the clicks and pops seemed to have all waited until the runout on "Peace Train" to make themselves known. Still not as bad as it could have been, and still better than I had hoped.

Having the benefit of hindsight and more that a little bit of history to look back on, this was a really cool period of time. By 1971 Cat Stevens had released five albums, Teaser and the Firecat being his fifth. A year earlier "Wide World" was a pretty big deal, and creatively and commercially Cat Stevens was a pretty big deal. From what I've read Teaser and the Firecat would represent the zenith of his career. It was the  album where it all came together. I'm not saying that after this he was over and done. You can't really correlate commercial success and artistic expression, but when you're a casual fan who likes his hits and appreciates the deeper cuts seeking out the album where he was seemingly at his peak isn't necessarily a band idea.

gate fold
Back to the time that was 1971, the '60s were over. The hippie movement would meander along for a few more years, and the echoes of the folk era were being incorporated into music in ways that would have been hard to imagine in the mid '60s. In short, Teaser and the Firecat was alchemy where the idealism of the '60s and the emerging spiritualism of the '70s were combined to create magic, or in this case triple platinum.

What I really liked was being able to explore the songs on the first side, first. The songs I'd not heard and being able to sit and listen and read the lyrics was really cool. It's kind of fun to read old reviews of the album where the lyrics are referred to as being simplistic and the ideas hold no surprises. I'd never really thought about it like that. Each artist brings what they bring to the table, whether the ideas are simple or complicated is matter of taste. One not necessarily being better than the other ... just different.

Side two of course is where things really opened up for me. Having really enjoyed the deeper cuts, three out of the five cuts on the second side are now considered classics, and with that familiarity also comes the power of nostalgia. It's a potent combination that can frankly make things better than they actually are.

One of the big surprises to me was "Morning Has Broken" a song that I really haven't listened to much since that early burst of play on the radio when I was a kid. It was still a wonderful memory, but I didn't have much desire to hear it again. It was played out. Wjen it came on the first thing that jumped out at me was how forward in the mix the opening piano work was, and even between the verses when the piano was featured ... it was awesome. The piano was an uncredited contribution by none other than Rick Wakeman. Of course "Moonshadow" is as playful and enchanting as ever, but it was "Peace Train" that I really spent some time actually listening to and really enjoyed. Yes, I still single out the big songs - but that's because of decades of familiarity. This isn't to say I didn't thoroughly the lesser known songs, especially the first side of the record.

back cover
I found it interesting that both Cat Stevens triple platinum albums Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat were produced by Paul Samwell-Smith. As the bass player and founding member of the Yardbirds, the man had a really delicate touch and the manner in which the songs were recorded and produced was no doubt a big part of Cat Stevens sound. They really are wonderful sounding records, well this one was, and I'm just assuming the other one was too.

Yeah, this was very much a '70s record, with all of the idealism of youth. After all, Mister Stevens was still a very young man and already a seasoned musical veteran by 1971.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the