Skip to main content

David Foster - David Foster

David Foster
By the mid '80s David Foster was manifesting the Midas touch for just about everything he worked on (except for that Payolas album that was supposed to be gold - those guys couldn't catch a break. I mean really, if guys like Mick Ronson and David Foster can't push a band over the top, the cards are stacked against you). Much of the MOR highly polished pop and the mushy synthesizer "strings" in the '80s could be laid at Mister Foster's feet. Don't get me wrong, I bought the St. Elmo's soundtrack when it came out, but I also eschewed a lot of what he produced. I mean there was only so much insipid music I could stomach.

I remember hearing "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight" on the radio, rock radio at that, and thought to myself, "Hey, that's a pretty good song. Who is that?" Don't forget it was around this time a lot of really cool but somewhat faceless "rock" was huge. Mr. Mister was the poster band of corporate rock for a short time, and I loved a couple of their songs. This was right in there. Then I heard it was by David Foster, and I was kind of stoked. He's back to his rock roots (first off, yes rock roots. The Tubes, the guys from Toto were rock, and I'll stand by that) and he was finally going to take off the governor and rev his engine. 

As the kid in the Mazda commercials would say, "Zoom zoom." Although to be fair the kid wasn't born back in '86.

credits
So I bought the album and lo and behold, it was a pastiche of previously released soundtrack theme's, and most of the first side was instrumental, including "Flight of the Snowbirds" which I always liked. However when he launched into "The Best of Me" his duet with Olivia Newton-John I was like, "Where's the rocking version of David Foster? You know, the guy who produced The Tubes?" It's not like this was a surprise, I mean this was his stock and trade now, but I was hoping for the other David.

The second side opened with yet another instrumental "Tapdance" that seemed to be the weird love child of Herbie Hancock and Harold Faltermeyer. It's actually a pretty interesting piece of music, and frankly considering this was David Foster's kick at the can to launch a solo career it's actually an odd and kind of brave song to include.

Finally, the song I bought the album for is up. "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight" was the near perfect blend of '80s generic pop that would for a brief period hit that sweet spot between rock and schlock. Heck, Richard Page who with Mr. Mister a band that harnessed all that was perfect and forgettable about this period was providing backing vocals to the track. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on this song - I loved this song. I still like this song. It's why I bought the album the first time, and the second time (although this time it was a buck) I just wish the album was more like this - but it wasn't.

The last three songs are more instrumental pieces. "Elizabeth" a really strong song that features the Chicago horn section. It's a song that really belonged on one of their albums.

back cover
Overall this was a weird album. It was impeccably produced and frankly sounded awesome, if not a little sterile. Humberto Gatica was the main engineer, and also co-produced the album, and he was a frequent collaborator with David, and their albums always sounded amazing. Back in '86 the advances in technology were pretty astounding, and David had access to all the cool toys, and despite what I may think of some of the results, the dude knew what he was doing.

David's solo career never really took off, but it didn't need to. I suppose this was as much a vanity project as anything. It was a way I suppose for him to scratch an itch he couldn't reach working with other artists. For all that I still consider myself a fan.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the