Skip to main content

Ted Nugent - Free-For-All

Ted Nugent
This is a new to me release, as the only album I really knew was his 1978 Double Live Gonzo, which was face meltingly awesome. I had always wanted to pick up his earlier albums, but never did. Time would march on, and invariably I'd move on as well leaving Ted as a pleasant footnote in my musical development.

Of course, nowadays Mister Nugent is a tad divisive. His personality, which was always huge and as bombastic as his music, seems to overshadow his music for a lot of people. Which is a shame, but then again the musical landscape is littered with artistic pariahs who have buried their art under their own personal baggage.

gatefold

While I don't agree with Mister Nugent on a lot of things, I also appreciate his love of nature, hunting, and his stance on drug and alcohol abuse. He's a strange fellow. However in today's climate we don't celebrate different opinions or engage in any sort of discourse, everything has devolved into name calling and attempts to cancel each other out. I have to admit some of the insults on either side can be pretty funny, but I don't think that's the point.

I'd like to move on, and just listen to Ted and park the rest. I'll likely catch a little grief over this (who am I kidding, no one reads this stuff. I write it for me because I like reminiscing about music), but I'm trying not to be political. I love rock and roll, and for goodness sake when Ted was on he was insanely good. Free-For-All was Ted's second album, and for those keeping score, none of the songs on this release were on Double Live Gonzo which looking back on it is kind of strange, as "Dog Eat Dog" and "Free-For-All" are classic Ted. 

credits
Who knows maybe there was still some residual tension from the making of the album. I have no idea what happened, and frankly being an armchair storyteller making shit up out of school isn't one of my skills. From what I've read Derek St. Holmes left during the recording of the album, although his vocals are still present on a few cuts, notably "Dog Eat Dog." Oddly it would be Meat Loaf (stylized as Meatloaf in the credits) who would sing on five of the album's nine tracks. Apparently he earned a thousand bucks for his efforts. One of the standouts is "Together" written by drummer Cliff Davies and bassist Rob Grange. It's the best southern rock song I've heard in a long time.

Derek would rejoin Ted (we're on a first name basis now) for the 1977 follow up Cat Scratch Fever. This was a solid album, and admittedly what pushed me to getting the album was finding out about Meat Loaf's contributions. I was curious as to what he brought to the table. His voice didn't have the edge and grit Derek, or the wild abandon Ted brought out in when he sang his own songs - Meat Loaf brought power though and no doubt he saved the album, but he didn't go over the top like he would on his own albums that were just on the horizon.

back cover

It's a shame I never picked up Ted's earlier albums back when I was a teenager as no doubt albums like Free-For-All would have had a greater impact (I have no doubt actually). Listening to it now, I still got a kick out of several songs, and it's a really solid collection of mid '70s rockers with Ted unleashing his Byrdland throughout the album. 

The album is a solid listen, and there are more than a few killer tracks. Sadly I suspect this will get a few cursory plays and then get filed. It'll be known more for the Meat Loaf connection as a trivia question than as a solid Ted Nugent sonic assault.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the