Skip to main content

The Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams

The Marshall Tucker Band
The Marshall Tucker Band is one of those odd bands out of the '70s that shouldn't have worked on so many levels, I mean really - the band sported a flautist who also a pretty decent saxophonist. A flautist. I know, people will throw out Jethro Tull as the other rock flute player, but they were miles apart stylistically.

What I know about The Marshall Tucker Band would fit on the back of a stamp, but I have heard some of their stuff over the years. Classic rock radio will play "Take the Highway" and "Can't You See" both from the band's debut. Those are pretty cool songs, and an interesting blend of country and southern rock that I always liked. 

Let's just address the elephant in the room right off ... there was no one name Marshall Tucker in the band. Apparently the band was named after a sign the guys saw in a rehearsal space ... I think that's right. Regardless, turns out Marshall Tucker was a real guy, and tuned pianos. Good thing I'm not rambling about REO Speedwagon ... because you know, you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

gate fold
Before I stray too far, let's just get back to the album. I had picked up a best of a while back, and I gave it a couple of spins. It was pretty decent, and touched the high spots. Of course now that I'm back to stuffing my shelves with vinyl, I'm always on the lookout for stuff, and when I found a copy of Carolina Dreams that was in better than passable shape (not by much, but it's very playable) I dropped by dollar and brought the album home for a little TLC.

The band had been steadily building their base, and four of their previous album's had all gone gold. Oddly the album that preceded Carolina Dreams, Long Hard Ride did well, but missed out being certified. Who knows what happened there, but for whatever reason Carolina Dreams would be the bands only album to go platinum. "Heard it in a Love Song" was a pretty decent hit, and was a top forty hit on both the country and pop charts.

credits
Listening to this now, it really is a wonderful blend of country, rock, easy listening, and even some jazz elements - particularly some of the guitar work by Toy Caldwell, who wrote many of the songs on the album. The songs cover a lot of ground musically, and the band did stretch things out when necessary to make sure the ideas were fully realized. They weren't padding the songs by any stretch of the imagination. When you have a song clocking in at just over seven minutes you wonder if there's unnecessary padding - nope, all killer no filler. To that end, the closing track on the first side, "Life in a Song" written by guitarist George McCorkle, and Jerry Eubanks, the band's sax and flute player, was actually too short. I know you want to leave people wanting more. Lead guitar player Toy Caldwell absolutely blows the roof off, and before you know it, it's over. 

Flipping the album over the second side starts out with a jazz shuffle, with a steel guitar and fiddle. Yeah, it works. This is the kid of song that often wears thing pretty quickly, but the boys took "Desert Skies" and turned it into a mini showcase for the band. Charlie Daniels guests and takes a fiddle solo. While really not my cup of tea, it's a pretty wicked piece of music, and in the context of the album it works.  "Never Trust a Stranger" is probably one of my favourite from the album, and has an absolutely wicked groove, and a great flute part. The third side only had three songs and the closing track "Tell it to the Devil" was pushing seven minutes, and like the other songs, the boys weren't in a rush to close out the track. I'm sure things could have been trimmed to squeeze out a few bits here and there, but the charm in the song is the interplay between the players and I'm okay hearing more than one solo in a song.

back cover
I still find this period of the mid to late '70s interesting as there was so much diversity in what was available. The Marshall Tucker Band was at home with blistering southern rock, as they were mining their own version of "adult contemporary" on a song like "Heard it in a Love Song" - and they had a flautist and that was pretty friggin' cool.

The band would follow up Carolina Dreams in 1978 with their final album for Capricorn Records, Together Forever. It would be their last gold record, but not their last record.

The classic line up:

  • Toy Caldwell - lead, acoustic and steel guitars
  • Tommy Caldwell - bass, tambourine, and harmony vocals
  • Doug Cray - lead and harmony vocals
  • George McCorkle - electric, twelve string, and acoustic guitars
  • Jerry Eubanks - saxes, flute, and harmony vocals
  • Paul Riddle - drums

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the