Skip to main content

The Partridge Family - The Partridge Family Album

The Partridge Family
Yeah I got an album by The Partridge Family. They weren't the Monkees that's for sure, but dang it it was the early '70s and we didn't have cable - hardly anyone we knew had cable. It was for rich people. We got enough channels with an antenna to be able to keep up with the latest cartoons and the best shows on television. Like the Banana Splits, H.R. Pufnstuf and Star Trek ... when I could figure out when it was on. The world was full of variety shows, and music was everywhere.

Then one day a new family moved into my living room  - The Partridge Family. Good lord, it was enough having to watch The Osmonds with a prancing Donny, and the Jackson 5 with little Michael all the time.  At least the Brady Bunch weren't doing a song and dance act.

Still, it was fun.

The music was terrible.

It was also catchy.

It was also incredibly safe for family consumption.

The Partridge Family
They also played Ovation guitars. This I remember distinctly, because my uncle had an Ovation. It never occurred to me that little Danny couldn't play ... at all. I also remember the Partridge Family trading card. I remember being perplexed by the recasting of the drummer after the first season. I had the same reaction when Darrin suddenly looked different on Bewitched. I just filled it under things that can't be explained and moved on.

So here I have a copy of the first of what would be eight albums over a three year period, the first five went gold - which is pretty impressive. I got it because it had "I Think I Love You" on it. I'd also have picked anything up with "Come on Get Happy" but beggars can't be choosers.

As an aside, when I was a kid my dad bought a lot of soundtrack albums, mainly musicals and showtunes. I loved Paint Your Wagon as a kid. I had no idea Clint Eastwood was a spaghetti western guy until much later. I also remember singing along to songs from Oklahoma ... oh what a beautiful morning indeed. As fate would have it, this is where I first saw a young Shirley Jones. 

credits and songs
The Partridge Family Album is a bit of an odd assortment of fairly generic soft rock songs. They were impeccably performed by some of the best session aces at the time: The Wrecking Crew. Hal Blaine was on drums, and both Tommy Tedesco and Louie Shelton were on guitar. 

Musically this was rooted in the late '60s pop that was part and parcel of acts like The 5th Dimension or The First Edition. Here was a young David Cassidy who was all of twenty, and Shirley Jones who was still in her '30s top lining an album. It's interesting to read the back cover essay as The Partridge Family was starring Shirley Jones and featuring David Cassidy. Listening to the album it's David who is very much front and centre.

The songs are all passable, and generally went in one ear and out the other - except for the lone single pulled from the record. "I Think I Love You" which is an honest to goodness piece of pop magic. Goodness it's kind of embarrassing, but it really is a great song. It's also a bit of redemption for songwriter Tony Romeo who also wrote "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque" a song that just made me think of Bugs Bunny poking his head out from a pile of dirt and exclaims he must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. 

The Partridge Family - Story
Although there are eleven songs here, this is a short album, hardly thirty minutes in total. I was surprised at how much I got into this with repeated listens. Suddenly I'm seven years old, lying stretched out on the floor, way too close to the TV, watching Danny outsmart Reuben.

As a kid it was cool and fun to watch the show, but you weren't supposed to like the music. Here I am as an adult (fine, I'm old ... get off my lawn) and I have to admit this was more fun than I expected.

To quote Reuben Kincaid: Now that I understand, I wish I didn't understand. 

This is the weird super power of nostalgia. I hope I don't find an album by The Brady Bunch ... boy oh boy, they even tried to get Peter Brady to sing and dance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the