Skip to main content

Randy Stonehill - Welcome to Paradise

Randy Stonehill
Although the album came out in 1976, it wasn't until a few years later that I picked this up. For me it served as a bookend to Larry Norman's 1975 album In Another Land. Both albums were produced by Larry Norman, and both engineered by the legendary Andy Johns, with assistance from Tom Trefethen. These were the albums that introduced me the guitar playing of Jon Linn a player who was mind mindbogglingly tasty and did stuff that still makes my head spin. 

Welcome to Paradise was a rock record filtered through Randy's acoustic guitar and his distinctive voice. The album kicks off with "King of Hearts" a song that has more than stood the test of time. Randy followed up with a two punch combination "Keep Me Running" and "The Winner (High Card)" that are still among my favourite songs - ever. It's these three songs alone that have made this album such an important part of my musical journey. As good as he'd be in later albums, with flashes of genius and decades of wonderful albums - it's this album and these three songs that are the cornerstone of his work for me. If you're going to lay a foundation to build upon, this is about as good as it gets.

gatefold
Randy also showed off his penchant for humour in "Lung Cancer" a song about cigarettes that at the time was hilarious, it's worn a little thin over the years. Although with out this song I'd still have trouble spelling c-i-g-a-r-e-t-t-e. Now if only he'd have written a song about spaghetti back in the day I'd have avoid all that "sketti" nonsense. This would not be the first or last of the silly side of Mr. Stonehill to be committed to tape. For better or worse it's a key ingredient in what makes Randy so special.

Side one closes with "Puppet Strings" and while a good song, it didn't have the same impact. Although I have to say listening to this now with my older ears and perspective, it is a wonderfully mature work, and a great piece of music.

insert
I practically wore out the first side of the record, and while I played the second side (a lot) the songs, while good - really good, never really matched that opening salvo. I just preferred those first three songs. "I Got News for You" is really good, and gives a glimpse into what Randy would expand on musically on his next release The Sky is Falling. Of course because I was a little late to the party I didn't have to wait long between releases and I would often play the albums interchangeably. 

The album closes out with "Good News" a mid temp rocker that still feels like Larry weighed Randy down with sandbags to keep him from taking off and burning through the song at double time. It's a song that over the years I've had an odd relationship with. Sometimes I love it ... other times it's weirdly irritating. Go figure, even now I'm conflicted between the power of nostalgia, and the reality that it's an odd song. I can't imagine the album without it.

There's a timeless quality to the songs and arrangements that have allowed this album to age much better than a lot of other albums from this period. Randy would release a lot of wonderful music over the years, and there was always something to celebrate with each release.

Looking back on it now, the whole Solid Rocks era for me was just a couple of years and a few albums, but man what a time. The impact of those albums where Randy and Larry seemed to be two sides of a coin singing and playing on each other's albums was a magical thing. Without Solid Rock I'd never have picked up Randy's first two albums, or been exposed to Mark Heard, Daniel Amos, or Bryn Haworth.

credits
There's something though about this album that has drawn me back to it over and over over the years. It's like an old friend and I'll play it through - all the way through, and it'll feel like time has stood, and there's still more future ahead than there is past behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the