Skip to main content

Randy Stonehill - Welcome to Paradise

Randy Stonehill
Although the album came out in 1976, it wasn't until a few years later that I picked this up. For me it served as a bookend to Larry Norman's 1975 album In Another Land. Both albums were produced by Larry Norman, and both engineered by the legendary Andy Johns, with assistance from Tom Trefethen. These were the albums that introduced me to the guitar playing of Jon Linn, a player who was mind mindbogglingly tasty and did stuff that still makes my head spin.

Welcome to Paradise was a rock record filtered through Randy's acoustic guitar and his distinctive voice. The album kicks off with "King of Hearts," a song that has more than stood the test of time. Randy followed up with a two punch combination, "Keep Me Running" and "The Winner (High Card)," that are still among my favourite songs - ever. It's these three songs alone that have made this album such an important part of my musical journey. As good as he'd be on later albums, with flashes of genius and decades of wonderful albums - it's this album and these three songs that are the cornerstone of his work for me. If you're going to lay a foundation to build upon, this is about as good as it gets.

gatefold
Randy also showed off his penchant for humour in "Lung Cancer," a song about cigarettes that at the time was hilarious. It's worn a little thin over the years. Although without this song I'd still have trouble spelling c-i-g-a-r-e-t-t-e. Now if only he'd have written a song about spaghetti back in the day I'd have avoided all that "sketti" nonsense. This would not be the first or last of the silly side of Mr. Stonehill to be committed to tape. For better or worse it's a key ingredient in what makes Randy so special.

Side one closes with "Puppet Strings" and while a good song, it didn't have the same impact. Although I have to say listening to this now with my older ears and perspective, it is a wonderfully mature work, and a great piece of music.

insert
I practically wore out the first side of the record, and while I played the second side (a lot) the songs, while good - really good, never really matched that opening salvo. I just preferred those first three songs. "I Got News for You" is really good, and gives a glimpse into what Randy would expand on musically on his next release The Sky is Falling. Of course because I was a little late to the party I didn't have to wait long between releases and I would often play the albums interchangeably.

The album closes out with "Good News," a mid-temp rocker that still feels like Larry weighed Randy down with sandbags to keep him from taking off and burning through the song at double time. It's a song that over the years I've had an odd relationship with. Sometimes I love it ... other times it's weirdly irritating. Go figure, even now I'm conflicted between the power of nostalgia, and the reality that it's an odd song. I can't imagine the album without it.

There's a timeless quality to the songs and arrangements that have allowed this album to age much better than a lot of other albums from this period. Randy would release a lot of wonderful music over the years, and there was always something to celebrate with each release.

Looking back on it now, the whole Solid Rocks era for me was just a couple of years and a few albums, but man what a time. The impact of those albums where Randy and Larry seemed to be two sides of the same coin singing and playing on each other's albums was a magical thing. Without Solid Rock I'd never have picked up Randy's first two albums, or been exposed to Mark Heard, Daniel Amos, or Bryn Haworth.

credits

There's something about this album that has drawn me back to it over and over the years. It's like an old friend and I'll play it through - all the way through, and it'll feel like time has stood, and there's still more future ahead than there is past behind.

If this sounds like Paradise - it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...