Skip to main content

City Boy - Dinner at the Ritz

City Boy
I've picked up an awful lot of stuff over the last few months, probably more than I should have, but dagnabbit a deal is a deal, but the shelf where my incoming pile is stored is getting pretty full. Which means I get to spend more time in the basement listening to tunes and avoiding other chores.

Win win.

Of all the guys in City Boy, it was Mike Slamer's name I was familiar with from his work with Steve Walsh - both solo and as a member of Streets. The guy was a super tasty player and could really rip it up too. From there I found out he'd been in a band called City Boy and that was about it.

Fast forward, and I picked up a really nice looking copy of Dinner at the Ritz.  I scan the back cover and there are six dapper looking lads wearing tuxedos. Also on the back cover Mutt Lange was listed as producer and co-engineer. I was already sold, this just made is more solder. I have yet to hear anything associated with Mutt that was a stinker ... that includes Shania Twain (I know, I know).

I generally try not to form an opinion before hearing things ... although I had already pegged this a rock record that was likely going to melt my face. The album opened with "Mama's Boy" which was just rock enough to put a little grin on my face. I was thinking, "Man, this was 1977 but this would sound right at home into the early '80s." To be fair there were a few years between like 1978 and 1983 that were pretty interchangeable until they weren't - then it was a pretty hard stop that cratered a lot of bands who couldn't adapt, or grow out their hair.

credits
However, I'm only a song in, let's not get to far ahead of myself. The guys didn't make a batch of cookies from the same recipe. Musically City Boy was meandering all over, from near progressive with bits of Yes, to bordering on Sweet favoured glam. In short, it was a lot of fun and the guys had chops. Heck the boys even went deep into the '70s schlock with a string infused ballad "The Violin" a song that I can imagine a sea of lighters flickering along with a host of burned thumbs. It's actually a very good song. That features a lot of, well, violin. It felt long, but I didn't realize it was seven minutes long. Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one was going to hold a lighter up for seven minutes. Still a pretty ambitious song. It's no more out of place than any other rock ballad that's sandwiched between a couple of rock songs - although if I'm to play along with the album conceit, each selection was a table, not a song, or a serving (which would have worked better, but then again I wasn't asked my opinion).

The album closes with table No. 7 "State Secrets - a Thriller" that is spread over three parts and clocking in a seven and a half minutes. It's a fitting close to the album. Time to flip it over and do it again.

Interesting now that I've had a chance to go through it, and the opening track, really is the most straight ahead rocker on the album. Don't get me wrong, the whole album is really good. It's not like a bait and switch, the guys are just covering a more ground musically than a lot of other rock band from the same time. This is what album oriented rock should be - an album that is fitted together and takes the listener on a journey. I'm still having a dickens of a time trying to process this as an album that came out in the mid '70s.

The title track "Dinner at the Ritz" didn't really catch me the first time through, I thought it was good ... but having played this through a couple of times now, this song is amazing. It feels like Queen and Supertramp with a dash of Floyd all at the same time ... yeah, that's not quite right but it's really cool. They didn't sound like a lot of other bands, they were doing their own thing.

back cover
After giving this a couple spins I figured it was worth looking up the band, and apparently Dinner at the Ritz was originally released in 1976, but in North America it came out on Mercury records in 1977. As to Mutt Lange, the first full album he produced was City Boy's debut, and Dinner at the Ritz was their second album. All in all he'd produced five of the band's seven records. By 1981 the band would release their final album and despite their best efforts they seem to have been mostly forgotten. 

Which is a shame, this one is really a lost classic, and frankly I'm not the look out for more of their stuff.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the