Skip to main content

Everest - Everest

Everest
I was farting around meanderbrowsing (it's a real thing) through one of the record stores I occasionally shop. It's a treasure trove of stuff, but can be a tad overwhelming and while not disorganized it's all over the place. I've found more than a few awesome nuggets and the proprietor is an odd duck, at times in the best way, and other times it's overwhelming when I just want to quietly browse. However, he's a treasure trove of knowledge and his ability to retain an astounding amount of absolutely useless trivia makes me look like a moron. Something I can honestly do all on my own without help - but that's beside the point.

Generally when I'm there I have a specific item I've got a hankering to find. Chances are pretty decent he has it, or knows about it. This is also the same guy that put me onto Hair Cut One Hundred (better than I expected), and the Karroll Brothers - which was a wicked score. We've also lamented poor Jim Clench's bad luck, and praised 451 Degrees as an album that should have been much bigger, at least here in Canada.

He knows I'm partial to mid '80s rock, and he wandered up and asked if I'd heard of Everest. I hadn't. So he pulled out the album. I just laughed, and accused him of him trying to get more cash out of me than I wanted to spend. Then again, to be fair whenever I do spend money he plays a "skill" testing question game that usually leads to me getting to pick an album, sometimes two, out of the bargain pile ... so, win - win.

He hands me the record and I scan through the back cover, and under the band name Paul Gross was listed as producer. Well, I will sheepishly admit for a moment I thought of the actor Paul Gross, and occasional singer, then changed gears to Paul Gross the producer. The guy behind the first three classic SAGA albums. The guy who founded the legendary Phase One Studios. A man who knew a thing or two about making great sounding records. Heck it was mastered by Bob Ludwig - Epic had put up some money on this one.

I'll admit I was now curious. The album opens with a go big or go home track that sets the stage for the entire album "Right Between the Eyes" that is keyboard driven, with fat power chords with the powerful vocals. If SAGA and Asia had an illegitimate love child this is what it would sound like. My goodness Ric McDonald sounded like John Wetton on this one. This is the best Asia song you never heard. This isn't meant to be unkind. Heck I love Rhino Bucket, and Airbourne and they're not exactly shy about wearing their influences on their sleeves.

I'm pretty sure that if I'd have found this back in '84 it would have gotten a fair bit of play because I liked this kind of stuff. Even then I would have been aware that it was more than a tad derivative and didn't really have an identity of it's own, but it wouldn't have mattered. 

inside pic
Listening to this so long after it was released, it does get hard to place where it would have landed at the time. Right now I just more or less lump it in with the rest of the '80s AOR stuff I like, but at the time a year or two on either side of the release was a big deal. This kind of music was right in the pocket in '82 when the first Asia album went four times platinum in the States. A year later Asia's follow up Alpha would go platinum, and by '85 they were over as far as being a commercial force. So with this coming out in '84 despite having all of the ingredients they were already pushing their expiration date.

Heck even for me in '84 I was more into artists like Ultravox, Eddie Schwartz and even Huey Lewis (don't hate me, I liked it) and probably one of my favourites was Time Line by AD (Kerry Livrgren's post Kansas band). It was an fantastic bridge between his roots and new music. Everest was a tad out of step and although it did have an '80s flair throughout it just didn't feel like the future.

back cover
Of course with the passage of time all of those delineations are blurred and the album can stand on it's on merits and while it is still tied to the times, it's a lot more malleable and I'm able to listen unencumbered a specific time period. This album is really enjoyable. It's not a stretch to call it wonderfully obscure AOR, and a lost treasure. I tried to find the band online but there's not much out there.

As to the record I got, it was pretty much pristine which was great - sadly there's one lone pop and it occurs on near the start of the first song - which wasn't awesome. If only this was on CD or iTunes - as this will be lost if it isn't preserved.

Time for a shout out to the lost heroes who tried to climb to the summit with Everest.

  • Frank Reid - keyboards and vocals
  • Ric McDonald - lead vocals, basses, bass pedals
  • Jim MacLeallan - percussion
  • Don Gaze - guitars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the