Skip to main content

Kyle - Kyle

Kyle 1974
I was in searching an online catalogue for some stuff and this popped up when I was looking for something by Randy Stonehill. Considering I had most of his stuff already, I have no idea why I was looking, but up popped an album by Kyle, no first name, or maybe it was his first name. Who knows. I know I don't. Turns out the song "If I Had the Cash" was also co-written by Keith Green. Now I was curious.

The album cost me five bucks, and I will admit I was pretty curious.KYLE, and I was more curious when I read the back cover. It was produced by Danny Janssen & Bobby Hart. Yeah, those guys. So this was likely going to be somewhere between The Monkees, Josie and the Pussycats and The Partridge Family. That's okay, I liked The Monkees.

I'm going to jot down my thoughts in real time, and then come back and see if anything makes sense? Are you seated comfortably?

The first song "Rescue Me" comes over the speakers and this is sounds a bit like Neil Diamond, mixed with Andy Kim. It was actually really good. I mean, really good. From what I can see it was released as a 45, and it should have gotten some play somewhere, but I can't seem to see anything on this out there. Okay, I'm paying attention now. Next up is "By The Time I Reach Tomorrow" that seems to be taken right out of the Jimmy Webb songbook, and Kyle's voice has hints of Glen Campbell with John Denver's vibrato, or was it Bobby Goldsboro (I like John better, I will not get into the shitty mess that was "Honey"). "One Line Rhyme" is another page right of the Webb/Campbell songbook. I'm guessing KYLE is the guitar player because it's prominent in the mix, and his acoustic work is very good and perfectly fitted to the songs. Okay so far this has been really good early '70s soft rock, but with "I'm to Blame" we veer into the country lane, with steel guitar and a breezy shuffle and solid chorus. It does call to mind "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?" in places by The Monkees. Not a bad thing, I love me some Michael Nesmith. I'm starting to wonder why this album is so obscure. This stuff is the shit. Staying in the same lane for "Robin's Egg Blue" the pedal steel sings along as the tempo slow down and I'm treated to another solid song. The first side closes out with another mid-tempo ballad "I'll Be Back Again" that's full of lush strings arranged by the legendary Jimmie Haskell (there are strings all over the album) and some really nice acoustic and electric guitar work. The acoustic solos throughout call to mind Red Shae. It really is very tasty, and not overplayed.

What a great surprise so far.

ABC Records
"I Got the Music to Play" opens the second side with a Chuck Berry styled riff, and then seems to blend in some Jerry Reed swagger from "Guitar Man" it's a lot of fun, and even the punched up (I mean someone pushed the fader up to 10) end riff works. If I needed a reminder that this was from 1974 having a Caribbean steel drum kind of does the trick and the song has a lot in common with Harry Nilsson's "Coconut." It was kind of fun, but not really that great to be honest. The album is now gone up-tempo with a soft rock flair. It's a little hard to peg. "Peace in the Country" doesn't do much for me, but dang it has a nice acoustic guitar solo - not quite enough to save it, although I wonder if a couple more plays will change that. Up next is the Randy Stonehill / Keith Green composition "If I Had the Cash"  the only song on the album not written by Kyle, and frankly it's a goofy throw away novelty song that truly feels out of step with the rest of the album. Although to be honest the two previous songs were moving in this direction and actually does kind of fit. Whoever sequenced the album knew what they were doing. The album closes with "Silver Wings" the strongest song on side two, and one of the best songs on the album. The song's acoustic foundation and driving bass underpin the song, and as it goes on it builds momentum and by the time the solo hits with the double tracks leads, it's sounding a bit like the Allman Brothers, but then the acoustic guitar solo hits and it brings the song home. An absolutely killer track.

back cover
This was truly a wonderful surprise, and other than a couple of small missteps on the second half, this was a way better album than I expected. I know I kept trying to find something to compare this to, that's only because I was trying to give a sense of what I was experiencing. I was really surprised at how crisp the production was on this one. Props to Danny Janssen & Bobby Hart. For a couple of guys primarily known for their songwriting credits and production in the bubble gum arena, they absolutely crushed it here.

I have no idea why this is so obscure.

I'm googling and checking through Discogs and Allmusic and there's very little out there. I have no idea who Kyle is, or was. I did figure out his name was William Kyle Eidson, but that didn't really help much either. By all accounts he released a two others albums in the early '70s. This would be the last one. That's about all I can find.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the