Skip to main content

Visage - Visage

Visage
The song "Fade to Grey" I always figured came out in the mid '80s, and it was one of those rare examples of a nearly perfect balance of new wave and techno elements. It wasn't until fairly recently that I found out this was actually recorded back in 1979 and released in 1980. I'm guessing the band waited just to have their album come out in the new decade. To add to my pile of trivia, both Midge Ure and Billy Currie would go on to join a resurrected Ultravox. Oddly though, Midge wasn't the front man here; it was Steve Strange who sang lead.

I know I keep repeating myself when writing about this era of new wave, but I have always loved the integration of organic and synthesized instrumentation. The presence of acoustic drums along with early drum machines, and guitar and bass is a wonderful blending of two worlds. The results have always had more tension and energy than much of the later techno work that was to come. I can't say it isn't dated, but it has aged really well.

Most of the time I think of myself as a rock guy. I have always been drawn to rock, and the more guitar the better - but there was always something really cool about this era of new wave. It had the power chords, but it also felt like the future had finally arrived.

inner sleeve
I read a lot of science fiction when I was a kid. I specialized in digesting everything by Heinlein, and to a lesser extent Clarke and Asimov ... the '80s were the future and as Daniel Amos would lament when the fabled decade finally arrived, "It's the eighties so where's our rocket packs?" However, for a little while in the early '80s a lot of bands thought it had arrived, and they were doing their best to show us what the future would look like.

As to the album, this has been spinning a couple of times through and I'm still partial to "Fade to Grey," mainly because it was a song I was already familiar with, but the whole album is really cohesive. I was struck a little when I felt the songs were a tad generic - then I realized quite quickly that much of what I was comparing this to had come after ... so it wasn't so much a chicken and the egg as it was the chicken who laid the egg.

What I found cool was how much of a band effort this album was, at least on paper at any rate. The majority of the songs were attributed to the entire band. Of course, the reality was probably less democratic ... but for this one at least it reads like a collective of equals.

credits
The musicians on the album were:*

Steve Strange – lead vocals
Midge Ure – guitar, backing vocals, synthesizers
Billy Currie – electric violin, synthesizer
John McGeoch – guitar, backing vocals, saxophone
Rusty Egan – drums, backing vocals, electronic percussion
Dave Formula – synthesizer

*the album only lists the names, the credits I pulled from the bands wiki

This was an incredible score, and it was in pristine shape ... no, I didn't get it for a buck, but it was less than I expected. Now I'm on the lookout for their follow-up Anvil, which is supposed to be even better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...