Skip to main content

Al Stewart - Russians & Americans

Al Stewart
I have always like Al Stewart. From those early hits there was something about his style of writing and his vocals that just seemed to get me right in the feels. Chris de Burgh was the same for me, but it was really only those two Rupert Hine albums in the early '80s I liked. Whereas with Mr. Stewart I'd sort of followed at a distance for a long time - at least the songs on the radio. Then after his 1980 release 24 Carrots that had "Midnight Rocks" there was radio silence.

It wasn't until 1984 he'd emerge with Russians & Americans and I don't remember anything at all being played on the radio. Which was a shame, as this was a really cool album, and it had tapped into the very real tensions that were omnipresent in the early '80s.

The songs here as you'd expect aren't typical pop songs. Al was a dense writer and for those used to a chorus, hook and may be a bridge before being bashed with a hook again this was harder to follow. It wasn't sing along song time with Mr. Stewart, it was sit yourself down and have the lyrics handy time.

There is a payoff. But you have to invest the time.

Although having said that he goes and writes the weirdly banal but oddly catchy "Strange Girl" that does indeed bash you over the head with the chorus. 

credits
The centre piece here is the title track. I've actually not heard this since the '80s. When I found the album, in mint conditional I must add, in the dollar bin I was immediately transported back in time. Whereas much of the record is full band that is more rock and roll than you'd expect from a '70s troubadour, "Russians & Americans" is anchored by acoustic guitar and vocal and then as the song progresses is accompanied by lush strings. Songs that are anchored to a particular time have a tendency to age badly. When you start a song with "Here we are on the edge of 1984 / Bracing ourselves once again" it only feels current for a moment, then stays in the past. As it turns out, with the cyclical nature of events to repeat themselves we find ourselves once again in a similar situation and the song serves as a reminder that nothing really changes.

Al Stewart actually dig a bait and switch and managed to released a progressive rock record disguised as a pop album. Although more akin to something by Supertramp than Pink Floyd it was pretty ambitious. Mike Flicker who had produced those early Heart albums, and even worked with Canadian rocker Trooper produced the album.

back cover
Unlike his platinum '70s releases, there wasn't an obvious single or hit. The first track "The One That Got Away" was really good, but it was very much a song out of time. It likely would have been huge in '78 but in '84 was a bit of an anomaly. It was "Rumours of War" though that could have been on FM as it was just quirky enough with the synth lines to garner some airplay. I always thought of Kate Bush when I heard it back in the day, but Kate didn't release Hounds of Love until 1985, and Al was just a tad early.

There weren't any duds on the record, just no obvious singles. Just really good songs.

Sadly this mostly stayed under the radar.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the