Skip to main content

Culture Club - Colour by Numbers

Culture Club - I'm pouting, love me

You should never say never. Just ask Don Henley. So here I am feeling like I'm betraying my youth by testing to see how thick the ice is now.

Pretty friggin' thick.

This was a day I sort of dreaded, but was expecting. I mean it's not like this wasn't coming. Over the last couple of years I'd put myself through a lot of stuff I never thought I'd actually sit and listen to - let alone actually (begrudgingly) admit to enjoying.

It was musical hell when a song from Culture Club came on the radio. I never expected that to change ... ever. Still, a lot of things have frozen over, or at least chilled enough to numb the pain these albums once brought to my ears.

Adrian, who runs my favourite record store and feeds my habit, had been trying to cleanup and refresh some inventory and he went a little nuts on the bargain bins - especially the dollar section. I'd popped in just to say hi and see what was up - and in short order I had over a dozen records, and among them was a nearly mint copy of Culture Club's 1983 follow up to Kissing to Be Clever, the one that didn't want to hurt me but did anyway.

the other musicians
Once upon a time in the early '80s, Culture Club were everywhere. I mean they were huge. It was hard to listen to the radio because you never knew when one of their irritating singles would come on and almost cause an accident as I tried to change the station before the singing would start. I had a few near misses but mostly managed to maintain a pretty healthy disdain for the band.

The band made a pretty big splash with their debut, and in their native UK it sold 300,000 units and did similar numbers here in Canada. In the US it went platinum and laid the ground work for Colour By Numbers. On the strength of "Karma Chameleon" the album would explode. It sold a 1,000,000 copies in Canada, almost as many in the UK, and it went 4X platinum in the US. Over 10,000,000 copies world wide. Love 'em or hate 'em (I hated 'em) that's a lot of plastic (thank you Wikipedia for the numbers).

insert
Of course not content to rest on their laurels, the band would strike again while the iron was hot - and it was red hot with their '84 release Waking Up with the House on Fire. I don't remember anything about this one, and I'm not complaining. By all accounts it was a rushed and uneven effort, but it still sold a lot of records, although they had already peaked. When the band released From Luxury to Heartache in 1986 it was indeed heartache for the band.

Then it was over. They were irrelevant as quickly as they stormed onto the scene. Boy George with his (then) outrageous appearance and androgynous persona was a cultural phenomena that fizzled as quickly as it ignited. This was one of those times I actually agreed with Neil Young's "better to burn out than fade away" observation on pop relevance. It's weird to think that in 1983 Boy George was only 22 and was still really just a kid. I can't imagine the pressure these guys must have been under at the time.

It would be years before I'd gain an appreciation for Boy George as a vocalist. It was his version of "The Crying Game" from the movie of the same name, that I found really good. I'd hear the occasional Culture Club song on the radio, and wouldn't always change the channel.

So here I am forty years later and I've listened to the album a few times. There's actually more going on here musically than I would have expected. Let's address the elephants first, "Karma Chameleon" and "Church of the Poisoned Mind" were the two bookends, with Jud Lander's impeccably delivered, but irritating harmonica parts, are actually the two anomalies on the album.

The rest was actually pretty intricate pop, with some jazz, soul, folk and funk elements meshed together. It was different enough to stand on it's own, but likely would have been lost among the other pop bands at the time who were in similar territory. So Boy George really was the secret sauce - be outrageous, get people's attention, and then deliver the goods to keep it. It was a double edged sword that ultimately pigeonholed the band as a novelty act and belied the actual talent of the band.

Heck I will even admit that "Miss Me Blind" is a pop song I shouldn't like, but there was something about it, that just worked. The album's closer "Victims" is a simple piano driven ballad with accompanying strings, that while pretty generic, is also a poignant song that must have felt like a bait and switch to some listeners. Maybe there was more going on here than the cover would lead you to believe.

The songs were written and performed by the band, which was actually pretty cool.

  • Boy George (George Alan O'Dowd) - vocals
  • Jon Moss - drums / percussion
  • Mikey Craig - bass
  • Roy Hay - guitar / keyboards

For an album that could have devolved into a processed keyboard and drum machine sterile pop album, the organic nature of their arrangements that leaned heavily on horns and acoustic instruments has actually served to keep this sounding surprisingly fresh. Oh it's dated, but it still sounds good. The album was produced by Steve Levine, and was mixed by Steve and Jon Moss.

back cover
I know there was a whole lot of "is Boy George gay" and all that nonsense at the time. Looking back on that time it always made me sad; that people had to be closeted just in case their sexuality became an impediment to album sales. I didn't dislike Culture Club because Boy George may or may not have been gay - it was the '80s and I  was in the rock and roll camp, and this dance namby-pamby silliness wasn't cool. I was a serious rock guy and this was just - ick.

While I will never be a big fan, there were some songs here that I really enjoyed. "Miss Me Blind" was surprising. Also the level of musicianship was better than I had expected, and the ever present counter vocals of Hellen Terry are top shelf.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the